Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
grim reapers and KE >

grim reapers and KE

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

grim reapers and KE

Old 07-26-2013, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

27 1/2 Draw length very short arrows for me as well. The arrow my have been slowed by the shoulder blade or a rib on exit side. The bow I use is not real fast a PSE Stinger 3G. The big cut may not make a pass through easy but the damage it does with 90% penetration was death to the Deer for sure. I found the arrow on the ground so it may have been almost all the way through and barely hanging on to the hide. Like you said the deer was dead and recovered quickly. The angle also had me pushing through a lot of tissue, the only reason I know it sliced through one rib is because I just happen to notice it while field dressing her.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:57 PM
Spike

I shoot a vector turbo ( ibo 340) at 27.5" draw and 70lb draw weight. I push a 415 gr arrow at Approx 285fps. I've never had a single issue with large 2" cut expandable including the whitetail specials performing out to 50 yards (I've never shot a deer farther with a big cut expandable, but have enough confidence to do so if the opportunity arises.) Do I get a complete pass through at that far? No, but I do get an entrance and and exit hole and that's plenty for me. Shoot what you'd like to shoot, know your personal limits, and you'll be just fine.

Last edited by dsotm223; 07-26-2013 at 04:59 PM.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:03 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by croc2116
I want to try the new Grim Reaper Whitetail Special, but don't know if I have enough ft lbs of KE? I am shooting 65 lbs, 390 grain arrows including 100 grain head, 27.5" Draw length. I don't know what my speed is so I'm guessing 280 ft/sec. My bow is set at 65 lbs but maxes out at 70 lb's and the IBO speed is 330 ft/Sec. My question is how do I find out my speed without a chronograph and do I have enough power?

Thanks
croc2116
Do I dare say it? Slide Hammer from New Age Archery Products lol! This is one of the things it was built for. It'll add the extra kinetic energy, force, momentum you seek. It has mass, it moves within the arrow so it has acceleration/velocity. It has almost no effect on arrow speed. Look at the formulas for kinetic energy, force, and definition of momentum there is all your proof.

Last edited by Chaoselite; 07-26-2013 at 05:08 PM.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:06 AM
Spike

I am not arguing that he cant use a 2inch cutting diameter or that you cant either. I am just saying that the 1 3/8 does amazing damage and why not go for complete passthroughs. The reason why a complete pass through is important is if you do not get a pass through, the arrow actually helps block the wound cavaty from bleeding which "could" lead to a poor blood trail. If, by chance, the deer was able to run far...you would want the best blood trail possible. Now if you/him are great archers...almost always hitting the double lung shot with little to no shoulder meat involved then by all means shoot the larger cut...but if you are like me, where nerves/buck fever kick in or you take an extreme quartering shot like in your case you have lots of body mass to move through...why not use the 1 3/8ths...now if you are someone fortunate to have 70lb draw weight with 29 inch or more draw length and that ultra high KE then by all means use what you want.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by doetrain
Shot my first Doe last year with the 2" Grim Reapers at 65 pounds and PSE carbon arrows and got 90% penetration after slicing through a rib. It was a tough angle with her quartering towards me at 12 yards but she only went about 45 to 50 yards. Blood trail in the dark in grass was good.
First off, if it was a TOUGH shot with her angling TOWARDS you, then you more than likely should have let her get, broadside, past you, turn or not have taken the shot at all. Thankfully you were able to recover her and at 12 yds, it should have blown through her. Fortunately, it was not a large buck for you more than likely would not recovered that animal.

Second, I have shot 100grn 1-3/8ths cut GrimReappers Razor Cuts since they have came out and have taken from elk to hogs with them. I shoot a Mathews Drenalin at 64lbs, 29-1/2" DL, GT Velocity XT's at 412grns out at 296fps.
Up till this past year I have not failed to recover an animal shot with these BH's and have pass throughs, with most as GrimReaper state, "Watch em drop". I lost a doe due to too high of entry and hit shoulder socket on far side, failing to exit.
I have taken literaly 100's of animals, hogs, bear and deer mainly, with them. I have tried the Razor Tips and agree with Big Eclipse, they do and will follow heavy bone or on a long angle, follow the bone and exit other than where they were intended. Main thing is to have enough kenetic energy as you are speaking of and I agree that you do. I have the 2" GR WT and they were only for turkeys. I feel that if l were shooting a heavier arrow, I would go to them for more kenetic energy.

Last edited by SecondChance; 07-30-2013 at 10:31 AM.
Old 07-29-2013, 03:56 PM
Typical Buck

you shouldnt have any problems with the whitetail specials there design makes them have great penetration for an expandable broadhead they are great