HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Tree stands (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/383197-tree-stands.html)

jakeman3327 07-20-2013 06:33 PM

Tree stands

Ok so this is going to be my first year bowhunting, and I am thinking about getting a tree stand. I want to know what you guys would suggest. I am thinking about either a hang on or a climber. I am going to be hunting public land and private land. ( I will usually have to take the stand in and out of the woods each day.) I will also be sitting for the most of the day, so it needs to comfortable. I also don't have a ton of money to spend. Thanks in advance for any input.

iayotehunter 07-20-2013 06:57 PM

I'd get a muddy hang on/lock on stand with climbing sticks

OhioNovice 07-21-2013 12:16 PM

If you have to take it down every day go with a climber. You have to find the right tree to climb, but you don't have to deal with hanging sticks and the stand every day.

jakeman3327 07-21-2013 04:51 PM

Yeah the only thing about a climber is there cant be many branches and the tree has to be straight. I have to do a bit more scouting to make sure that there are enough decent trees.

OhioNovice 07-21-2013 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by jakeman3327 (Post 4068238)
Yeah the only thing about a climber is there cant be many branches and the tree has to be straight. I have to do a bit more scouting to make sure that there are enough decent trees.

Thats what I do. I scout out a good spot and use reflective tacks to mark my trees.

jakeman3327 07-21-2013 05:19 PM

Do you have any recommendations?

Deepsouthdeerjunky 07-21-2013 08:43 PM

There are more climber accessible trees in the woods than u might think. I can honestly say that there are very few instances that I cannot hunt from a climber due to a lack of climbable trees.

dsotm223 07-27-2013 05:21 AM

I personally prefer a light hang on stand and 3 sections of the hang on climbing sticks. Lone wolf is what I recomend.

Murdy 07-27-2013 05:53 AM

I use a climber, I've never not hunted because I couldn't find a tree, but there are times I haven't been able to find a tree to hunt the set up I wanted to. In my opinion, if you don't have to move the stand during season, you can't beat the comfort of a ladder stand.

Chaoselite 07-31-2013 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by jakeman3327 (Post 4068084)
Ok so this is going to be my first year bowhunting, and I am thinking about getting a tree stand. I want to know what you guys would suggest. I am thinking about either a hang on or a climber. I am going to be hunting public land and private land. ( I will usually have to take the stand in and out of the woods each day.) I will also be sitting for the most of the day, so it needs to comfortable. I also don't have a ton of money to spend. Thanks in advance for any input.

I started with a summit viper (climber) and still use the summit brand. Any other brand seems wierd because I am so used to the summit. I tried a lone wolf stand and ended up taking it back, it just didn't feel right. Climbers are very nice now days and some are pretty lightweight.