Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Treestand or ground hunting >

Treestand or ground hunting

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Treestand or ground hunting

Old 09-25-2003, 11:39 AM
Fork Horn

Default Treestand or ground hunting

I was wondering what most people prefer to do while bow hunting whether they use a tree stand or hunt from the ground. I was wondering what the advantages are doing both types while bow hunting.

What types of conditions would be better for hunting from the ground than hunting from a tree?
Old 09-25-2003, 11:51 AM

Default RE: Treestand or ground hunting

I bow hunt and gun hunt from a tree stand. Because the higher up you are the better scent control that you have. Also , you can see from a treestand.
Old 09-25-2003, 02:19 PM
Fork Horn

I prefer to hunt from a tree.......outta sight, outta mind. I have done still hunts in clear cuts when the wind is right. If you do it right, you can slip up on em.
Old 09-25-2003, 03:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

i do both. when i was a youth i never hunted much out of a tree and thought you were supposed to stalk a bit and sit a bit. i had many shots and it was great to work at getting close. now adays with all the good 3-d camo and scent control options i think more people should give it a try. on slightly breezey days i think its better to do a little walking.
Old 09-25-2003, 03:36 PM

I hunt from treestands almost all of the time these days. When I first started bowhunting years ago I didn' t own a treestand so I was grounded with no other choice. I would usually make an impromptu blind out of whatever was available. I do agree with the others about still hunting. I have had some of my most memorable days hunting in the rain. Everything is so quiet. It is so awesome to actually sneak within range of a deer. Windy days also make for good still hunting too...but not like the rain. Dry ground and no rain...No good for me. I did buy a pop up hunting blind this summer and am going to give it a try. Jim
Old 09-25-2003, 04:04 PM

I prefer to hunt from a treestand better scent control and allows more movement, but to of the nicer bucks that i got a shot at came from the ground.
Old 09-25-2003, 04:24 PM

For me, it all depends on the weather... if its a nice day (Little Wind) I' ll stay in a tree stand... But if the wind is blowing hard enough to rock me back and forth I' ll get down and hunt from a Ground blind.
Old 09-25-2003, 04:43 PM

Depends on how I feel and who I have with me. If I have my son (6) with me it the gound. We usually make some type of natural blind on the fly. If I' m out by myself I climb the tree and see what' s going on from the birds eye view.
B
Old 09-25-2003, 05:59 PM

I prefer the tree...better scent control and I feel like I can get away with more.

Never hunted from a ground blind but I' d like to try in the future. A lot of guys around here hunt turkeys from a ground blind.
Old 09-26-2003, 01:07 AM
Fork Horn

I will usually hunt from a tree stand. Like everyone else said, you have better control of scent and from up above you can see them farther. On rainy or windy days, I' ll get down and try to do some stalking. I figure that the deer are more likely to bed down, and stay bedded down, on windy and/or rainy days because their sence of smell and hearing is severely hampered, plus they won' t be moving around as much.

Quick Reply: Treestand or ground hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.