HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Tree Stand Shooting tips, Please (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/383018-tree-stand-shooting-tips-please.html)

MD DEERHUNTER 07-12-2013 06:52 AM

Tree Stand Shooting tips, Please

I've been a muzzle loader hunter now for 9-years, and this year will be my first year bow hunting. I'm shooting a Mathews Z7 Extreme and I've been practicing since February. I've been getting tight groups at 20 and 30 yards. So, I decided this weekend I want to start practice shooting from my treestand. Any helpful tips or information will be greatly appreciated.

M.Wuen 07-12-2013 07:33 AM

Best advice I have to ya for shooting out of a treestand is to bend at the waist instead of lowering just your bow arm to meet the angle down. This will keep your shooting form proper and keep you shooting the same. Also if you're gonna be hunting on hillsides anywhere make sure you at least shoot once out of your stand on the hillside because shooting downhill will really mess with the actual distance and the ballistic distance. I learned this lesson the hard way on a piebald doe, luckily I had another chance on her and capitalized. Also I highly recommend pre-ranging all nearby trails, or ranging noticeable markers in the woods, such as a downed tree, or a grass patch etc. This way if you have a deer come running in you don't need to guess a range or fumble with your rangefinder, you already know. Always good to hear of a new bowhunter, best of luck as season approaches

fishinty 07-15-2013 08:41 AM

m.wuen is right

VTBoneCollector 07-15-2013 05:58 PM

I find that when I'm bow hunting and get the opportunity to shoot a deer, it's best to draw your bow and bring your site pin from the bottom of the deer , into the vitals. Anytime that I come from the top of the deer and down, i have a tendency to hit them high or shoot over their back. That's just been my experience from the past 17 years of bow hunting.

Deepsouthdeerjunky 07-16-2013 08:38 PM

When estimating distance, pick spots at your eye level. This will give a true shooting distance to the base of that spot. For instance, say you have estimated that a spot on a tree at your eye level is 25 yards from you, shoot your 25 yard pin if a deer is at the base of that tree. This helps to compensate for angle. Or if you have the money, go purchase a cheap range finder ( not one of the more expensive ones with angle compensation and some big time Pro hunter on the wrapper) and do the same. The range finder will just take away the guess work of your spots at eye level.

Wilcam47 07-16-2013 08:56 PM

draw your bow when the deer is behind a tree if possible...if not wait for the deer to walk broadside to you...if they alert on you don't move...it may seem like a while but eventually they relax unless you really spooked them and they walk/run off...

solocamcan 07-31-2013 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Wilcam47 (Post 4067426)
draw your bow when the deer is behind a tree if possible...if not wait for the deer to walk broadside to you...if they alert on you don't move...it may seem like a while but eventually they relax unless you really spooked them and they walk/run off...

As others have mentioned...bend at the waist.

Take a empty bottle with you....your bladder will thank me later.

danjares 07-31-2013 06:22 PM

If the deer is within 10 yards from the base of your tree- aim 2 inches low. Trust me!
Close shots/Straight down shots will have you shooting much higher then you intend.

croc2116 08-01-2013 05:20 AM

What everyone else has said and Practice sitting down too.

MZS 08-01-2013 06:05 AM

And. . . wear a harness so you can focus on shooting rather than worrying about falling out.