Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

1 Pin Bow Sight

Old 07-14-2013, 06:40 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by OhioNovice
Will the HHA sights go down to 10 yards? Id like to have an adjustable for 3D shooting but most of my hunting shots are 10-15 yards.
Depending on the speed of your hunting rig you shouldn't need a 10 yard pin, for example with my set up I use my 20 yard pin for everything 20 and under because my bow shoots flat enough to do that. If your bow doesn't shoot that flat then my advice would be to make your own custom sight tape and sight it in for 10 yard increments starting at 10 yards.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:19 PM
Typical Buck

It's like going out without a range finder. If u know the distance but have to guess the hold over what's the point in having a sight at all in my opinion. Using multiple pins slows you to make a quick accurate clean kill.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for all the input everyone a lot of good view points for and against this method. Appreciate your time responding to my thread.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

I use 1 pin... 0-40 with one pin... no guess work
Old 07-16-2013, 08:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by foxfire66
I use a HHA single pin that adjust from 20-60 yards. I'll never switch
Yup! This is what I use as well!
Old 08-02-2013, 12:14 PM
Fork Horn

I have one fixed pin for 0-20yrds and a adjustable pin for 25-50yrds. G5 sight. I really like it!
Old 08-02-2013, 03:53 PM
Typical Buck

I have an hha sight, my pin hardly ever leaves the 30 yard setting, I practice at 20 and 40 yards with my 30 yard setting. At 50 yards, in a hunting situation, I will probably have time to adjust my pin.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Read the first few responses, question that's nagging me:

Why would you need a 7 pin sight for 20-70yrds? None of my bows need more than 5 pins to get out to 80yrds.

I do use an HHA single pin on one of my Mathews. LOVE this sight. I always double check visually to make sure it's set at the right yardage before I draw, and I DO practice with it set at the wrong yardage for my target quite a bit, i.e. say I have it set at 30yrds as a buck is coming into view, but he never comes closer than 40yrds after I draw. Rather than lowering my draw and adjusting, or trying to adjust under-draw, I just learn how to hold over properly.

Same difference really in using any multi-pin site. If you adjust a single pin site to the wrong yardage, you'll miss just as badly as accidentally using the wrong pin for the shot on a multi-pin.

My two 'primary bows' right now are a Mathews Monster with the HHA single pin, and a Bowtech Destroyer with a 5pin vertical. Which do I like more? Eh, hard telling really. I like both of them enough to own both, if that answers the question?