HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   My first season for bowhunting is coming up, any tips? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/382572-my-first-season-bowhunting-coming-up-any-tips.html)

jag-mag 07-03-2013 08:09 PM

Learn to draw and shoot sitting down when ever possible,alot less movement.Never leave your blind or stand before quiting time,I have shot alot of deer in the last ten minutes of the day.

Fieldmouse 07-03-2013 08:27 PM

Dump your girlfriend because you won't have anytime for her. Her complaining will only distract you from your ultimate goal of bagging the state record.

Good luck!

Wilcam47 07-03-2013 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by jag-mag (Post 4065504)
Learn to draw and shoot sitting down when ever possible,alot less movement.Never leave your blind or stand before quiting time,I have shot alot of deer in the last ten minutes of the day.

My biggest trophy revealed himself in the last 15 min but didn't come into range till the last 5 min...

Originally Posted by Fieldmouse (Post 4065507)
Dump your girlfriend because you won't have anytime for her. Her complaining will only distract you from your ultimate goal of bagging the state record.

Good luck!

LOL

deerhunter518 07-15-2013 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by BRVRY (Post 4064936)
Thanks everyone so far with the tips. Never thought about the scent free shower! Even though it's probably a no-brainer knowing that. I am however well aware of wind direction and using scent cover :) friend always reminds me.

What I do is take your sent free shower use sent killer on your body then when u get to your hunting grounds get some dirt from the ground and some leaves from the trees around you and rub it on your clothes. It will make your clothes smell like the woods and you will blend right in.

Pope94/IA 07-16-2013 08:13 AM

I dont think anyone said it yet..

But wear a safety harness. There is no sense in acting tough and not wearing one then end up falling to the ground and busting your body up. Especially wear one if your going to be in a hang-on stand.

Be patient. A wall mounter isn't going to come to you in the first 5 minutes. Some people hunt all season just to find the right deer. Others wait all season just to even see a deer!! My dad always says "Your time will come" and after 8 years of hunting, my time finally came and I shot a 160" deer.

If you are seeing no deer and get absolutely bored then find something to do. Just because you are stuck in a stand doesn't mean there's nothing to do. Grab a stick and knife and do some whittling, watch the nature around you, think of different hunting scenarios, or check yardages around you.
When i'm hunting, deer usually seem to show up when i'm not thinking about them.