Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Which broadhead is "better"? >

Which broadhead is "better"?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Which broadhead is "better"?

Old 07-24-2013, 06:43 AM
Spike

This is my take on things...if you have a fast bow shooting high KE/momentum MOST say 60KE is good and I tend to agree. I would go with mechanicals for the bigger cut on deer sized game and smaller. Mechanicals got a bad rap for FAILing to deploy or not enough penetration or whatever early on BUT they have progressed really far. If you shoot 60lbs or greater with a 27in draw or more I would suggest a good mechanical if you shoot deer sized game or smaller. You will have enough penetration and the simple larger cut is great and the deer wont run far. There is also a NEW mechanical on the market called the grave digger which is a hybrid...it has a fixed 2 blade along with 2 more blades that deploy on contact so even if the main blades fail to open, you still get the cutting diameter of a regular fixed blade, BUT I doubt they will ever fail. And if they do open you get the fixed blade cut along with a bonus 1 and 3/4 diameter mechanical blade cut. Grim Reapers are also a great mechanical especially in the 1 3/8ths cut version.

The biggest horror stories you hear about mechanicals lately is..."I hit the shoulder bone and didnt get a full passthrough or on RARE occasion the blades broke/did not deploy"...what most people fail to realize is that even fixed blades will not penetrate far hitting the shoulder bone AND I have had passthroughs with double lung fixed blade...but the deer still ran 100 yards and I didnt get good blood. SHOT placement is more important than what blade you shoot...mechanical closed through the lungs WILL kill the deer and fast. I now carry 3 different blades in my quiver...2 grim reapers as these are tried and true for me...2 grave diggers...have not tried but am trying this year based off of what others have said...and 1 fixed blade G5 Striker. I carry this fixed blade for one reason... I have a bear tag and if I see a bear during deer season I will shoot it...when it comes to a larger bear or any larger game like moose...I would stick with fixed blade for the added penetration...NOTE I did not say mechanicals will penetrate as far/farther than a fixed blade BUT on deer you will have no issues on penetration if you have the KE/momentum and you shoot at 40 yards or less. Just my two cents.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:54 AM
Fork Horn

IMHO, most of the broadheads on the market will do the job if the hunter does his or hers. Put it in the boiler room and they will die. Much like bullet debates. Accuracy and consistency is #1. I have used both, killed deer with both and have been happy with both.

2 reason I now stay with Fixed:

#1) When stalking through tall grass, I had scraped the brush with my broadhead and one of the blades opened. I did not know this until I tried to take a shot. That arrow banked light a fighter jet and was not even close to my target. Totally my fault, but I want to hunt not always be checking to see if my arrow blades are still locked.

#2) Practice blades. The reason I choose Muzzy 4 blade fixed is they offered practice blades and I could get 6 for the price of most other companies 3. Target practice with the practice blades, switch to hunting blades without unscrewing the head, change the Trocar tip and you are good to go. Replacement blades and Trocar tips are cheap.