Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Importance of Binoculars? >

Importance of Binoculars?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Importance of Binoculars?

Old 09-24-2003, 06:48 AM
Fork Horn

Default Importance of Binoculars?

Question: How important is a good pair of binoculars in your bow hunting routine. I see videos and magazines were the hunters seem to really rely on their binoculars. Am I missing something? I figure they are just one more thing to get in the way of a good shot and one more thing to lug around the woods. What’s your take?
Old 09-24-2003, 07:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Importance of Binoculars?

I used to carry them into the woods for whitetail hunting, but found myself never really use them. Some people swear by them, but I never could see their point. Maybe they are hunting in open areas unlike myself where they would like to see the quality of antlers, ect. I no longer carry them with me while whitetail hunting, and don' t miss them much either.
Old 09-24-2003, 07:33 AM

I use them scouting and spotting but never when hunting.

Can' t see 50yds anyway.

And if I need optics to see his rack at that range.........................[X(]
Old 09-24-2003, 07:43 AM

I have never used them. I think the ' tv hunters' do because they have sponsers. How else are they going to promote Burris, Simmons, Nicon, Swariski, ect while bow hunting?
Old 09-24-2003, 08:12 AM

In the areas that I hunt there is no need for them. The areas that I really concentrate on for bow hunting I can only see about 50 yards at most. They would be something else to carry in and get in my way. Now if I were hunting out west and could shoot 200-300 yards then yes I would probably use them.
Old 09-24-2003, 08:30 AM

I used to not carry them, but now I feel naked without them. You will be surprised by how many times you will use them or wish you had some. You may see a good deer out of range and still have the pleasure of seeing him up close.

Binoculars are also helpful in locating game after the shot. It is a good idea to view them as long as possible and if they go down within your sight you can tell more about the situation using binoculars. They can save alot of leg work if you see something that you think is the downed deer and so forth.

I got some Pentax for Christmas last year. I can' t wait to hunt with those. They are great binoculars!
Old 09-24-2003, 08:33 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn' t go hunting without mine. Next to my bow they are the most important piece of gear I have. It is fairly open where I hunt and the patches of woods are all along water and narrow. When you get away from water it is open prarie. They are a neccessity out here.
Old 09-24-2003, 08:46 AM
Fork Horn

I love mine too... I like to take a real good look at the deer and sometimes that' s not easy through the woods... Once I see a deer and will grab the binoculars and take a look, see quailty ect... Very Good tool... and sometimes you won;t get a good look at deer as they don' t get close enough, and I like to see what' s out there...
Old 09-24-2003, 11:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

I absolutely rely on mine and think they are invaluable for all bowhunters.

1. to pick out pieces of deer through the brush...one many occassions I picked out anlers or ears etc on deer I would have never seen without binos...this offers me a chance to call to bucks or just watch, otherwise that' s an opportunity lost.

2. To validate brush is just brush and quit wasting time watching it.

3. To glass bucks once spotted to determine if I want this buck....to call or not to call.

4. To glass an animal after the shot....very important...can give away exit or entrance wound, last spot seen.....I' ve already hit a buck in last minutes of light, he ran only 60 yards before bedding and I watched him with my bino' s....could not see him with my eye alone....watched him for a while and get up and walked off...gave me his direction...otherwise I might have gotten down and spooked him.

5. Glass for arrow on pass through deer.

6. Glass lots of stuff for entertaiment purposes...lol

Of course there are many other reason but I think you get the picture....of field of view .

A very necessary and valuable tool in my opinion.
Old 09-24-2003, 11:55 AM

Binoculars and range-finders; 2 pieces of gear that many shooters do not put a lot of thought into as to whether they will actually have much use for either.

Binoculars is the one piece of gear that many really get carried away with. Sometimes I get the impression from some shooters, that bino' s are some type of symbol of professionalism and status with them. Why spend several hundreds of dollars for something that will seldom be used, especially in a " go sit in the stand and wait" bowhunting? It is major " overkill."

I do use bino' s, mainly for (1) scouting an area from a distance, which is usually brief just to see if there is movement in areas, (2) scanning an area during the day before moving in just in case the deer have arrived earlier than usual, (3) still-hunting, and (4) when tracking a hit deer. In all cases, a simple set of " Full Coated Lens" 7X35 or 8X35 is very efficient. You can get a good pair for $50.00 - $70.00.

You' re not trying to count the gnats on a deer…or maybe you are!

Quick Reply: Importance of Binoculars?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.