Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
really want to get into archery >

really want to get into archery

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

really want to get into archery

Old 04-12-2013, 07:23 AM
Spike

Default really want to get into archery

hey guys. my son is 7 years old and wants to get into archery and maybe down the road do a little hunting. now getting a bow for him to start with is not a problem. the problem is i want to learn with him but i cannot afford the prices of the new bows. there are no stores nearby that would sell a used one, we dont have a pawn shop or anything of the sort. i have researched a youth bow that will fit me for draw length. im 31 years old and 188 lbs. id have no problem pulling 60 lbs for sure. this youth bow goes to 45lbs. my question is will this be ok for me to learn with. id love to start off with a 3-4-500 $ bow but thats just not in the cards for me. if this wont work for me then i guess ill be sidelined. cant really find anything on ebay to fit me. anything in my price range has a 30" draw and is older than christ. responses will be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:44 PM
Spike

Is your heart set on a compound?
I ask only because you can get a brand new recurve for less than 150 bucks. That leaves a little room for things like arrows and a target.
What is your top dollar? Knowing that helps with selection
Old 04-12-2013, 04:56 PM
Fork Horn

Keep in mnd most bows have adjustable draw lengths. As far as old bows? If it is in good shape not abused you are good to go. I just sold a Mathews SQ for 200 bucks. Sure it was 10 or so yrs old but shot like a new bow. The only reason I let it go was I jumped at a new set last yr. They are out there pal. Don't give up.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:27 AM
Spike

thanks for the response guys. well i can spend about $200. the only reason im considering a youth bow is because they come with arrows and other accessories. i have thought of a recurve. only problem i thought about with those is no adjustment. if i buy one with a low starting weight, say 20-40 lbs, once i get used to that ill need to upgrade again. another reason for considering the youth bow is itll reach 45 lbs draw weight. its legal to hunt in nl with that. if i could find an older bow for under $200, what are some things to check for.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Check craigslist near your area...getting into compound bow hunting at min can cost you $300-400 if you save up you can get that easily. Reason I say this is if you get just a bow you should restring, get arrows, release etc...it can add up quick...a traditional bow can be more cost effective to start...
Old 04-13-2013, 10:22 AM
Spike

Most youth bows come with fiber glass arrows. Don't hunt with those. You need to be able to put broadheads on your arrows. That means wood or aluminum.
Granted, with a recurve you don't have adjustable draw weights but you also have a bow that is very easy to learn basic archery skills.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:00 AM
Spike

i just purchased a bear archery shadow on ebay for $150. my draw length when i measured was 26 1/2", this bow is set at 28", doesnt say if its adjustable. hope that wont make it to difficult to use. weight is adjustable from 40-50 lbs. this should be sufficient. ive done some research but cant quite grasp the matching arrows to bows deal. grains per length, then figure arrow heads. would carbon arrows be ok with this bow? should i just get field heads for practice? sorry for the questions like this just want to get the best kick at the cat i can get to start off. hope i made the right choice in this bow. thanks a lot guys
Old 04-14-2013, 09:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Check into the Mission Bows,they can be adjusted for a Youth to shoot and draw weight can be turned up high enough to use for Hunting.

I have the Mission "Craze" Compound Bow and it was going to be started out being used by my Youngest Daughter,School and Boys got in the way and I had it sized for me!

I had the weight set at 55-60lbs and draw length was either 29 or 30,I'm 200lbs and in my early 50's and simply love this Bow,I had a Code-Red drop-away rest put on it and an awesome 3-pin sight that has a back-up lighted pins in low light conditions,I'm shooting carbon arrows (which I highly reccomend).It has the Lost Camo on it and a factory Zebra string,I had an Orange D-loop added to it to match the string colors also.

Price on this Bow was around $300.00-$329.00 Bare Bow then I added my Accesories as I made extra cash,Oh yeah.....it is a nice short Bow at 28 inches axel to axel.The Mission Bows are made by Matthews and have a great warranty and are very well made.Each Year they have added a few more Bows to the Mission line up,"Riot","Menace" and theres another new one that came out this year...I'll look and see what its name is and get back with You.

For a nice Bow that a Youth can start with and grow into for a long time or it can be fitted for an Older Hunter/Shooter You can't beat the Mission Bows!
Old 04-14-2013, 12:26 PM
Spike

If you cant lower that draw length, it will be a problem. Especially if you shoot a release.
Yes, you can shoot carbon arrows. Or aluminum. Don't try wood arrows in a compound though. You need AT LEAST 5 GRAINS PER INCH FOR EACH POUND OF DRAW WEIGHT. This means a 50 pound draw weight would need to shoot an arrow weighing at least 250 grains. That is still way to light in my book. Shoot a heavier arrow and use 100-125 grain broad heads to hunt with. Add the weight of the arrow plus weight of the head-field tip or broad head to figure total weight.
Yes, just start with field points first. Worry about your broad heads later.
If you have an archery shop any where near you, I would strongly suggest stopping by and talking to some one there. Pretty much any who is in to archery would be more than willing to help you out.
Welcome to the addiction!
Old 04-14-2013, 01:52 PM
Spike

What GTO said you simply can't go past the mission bows.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.