HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Number of whitetails taken by bow over 200"? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/379097-number-whitetails-taken-bow-over-200-a.html)

Ohiobuck25 02-16-2013 10:12 AM

Number of whitetails taken by bow over 200"?

Does anyone know how many whitetails have been taken by bow (vertical bow) that have netted over 200"? All-time amount in Ohio and or North America for that matter.

snapper1982 02-16-2013 02:29 PM

you will never know an accurate answer as there are just to mnay people who do not have their deer recorded.

SecondChance 02-16-2013 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by snapper1982 (Post 4036791)
you will never know an accurate answer as there are just to mnay people who do not have their deer recorded.

I am one of those people. I have a 207-13/16ths 14pt whitetail and at the time an 1-3/8ths short world record Catalina Ram at home that have not seen the books. They were scored by 2 official scorers that came within 1/2" each. He has several others here that keep him company of the "over 160" club. God bless Southern Illinois!!!!

Ohiobuck25 02-16-2013 04:02 PM

Congrats second chance on your 200"er! Certainly a once in a lifetime deer! I know there will always be deer out there that are not entered in the record books, but for any of you out there who owns a P&Y record book, my original question still stands.

SecondChance 02-16-2013 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Ohiobuck25 (Post 4036805)
Congrats second chance on your 200"er! Certainly a once in a lifetime deer! I know there will always be deer out there that are not entered in the record books, but for any of you out there who owns a P&Y record book, my original question still stands.

I mis-read the question. I appologize for the wrong answer to your question. :hit:

fastetti 02-18-2013 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by SecondChance (Post 4036801)
I am one of those people. I have a 207-13/16ths 14pt whitetail and at the time an 1-3/8ths short world record Catalina Ram at home that have not seen the books. They were scored by 2 official scorers that came within 1/2" each. He has several others that keep him company of the "over 160" club. God bless Southern Illinois!!!!

Hey Second Chance, where do you hunt in Southern Illinois? Hunted near Carbondale when I was in school at SIU and try to make it back down for gun season every few years in Williamson/Saline county area. There are some big bucks roaming down there!

fastetti 02-18-2013 06:26 PM

And for my guess, I'd say over 10,000 in the United States. There are a lot of people who don't get them officially measured.

SecondChance 02-21-2013 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by fastetti (Post 4037221)
Hey Second Chance, where do you hunt in Southern Illinois? Hunted near Carbondale when I was in school at SIU and try to make it back down for gun season every few years in Williamson/Saline county area. There are some big bucks roaming down there!

I hunt many counties. I have hunted around John A Logan and the back side of Crab Orchard refuge many times. That and Rend Lake area as well. I took a 160-165" 12pt this past Nov. when it was so friggin hot. Was out of the truck less than 20 minutes!!! 5pm.
I hunt Pike, Clinton, Bond, St. Clair, Pulaski, Jefferson, Johnson and Union for the most part.
Keeps the local tire dealer inviting me to his christmas party each year!!!!!!

fastetti 02-25-2013 03:27 PM

Man, I used to walk those woods by John A Logan all the time. I think it was just East of Logan and across 13 from it. Our "Honey Hole" for Rabbits, Dove and Quail was across from Logan. I wasn't into deer hunting as much back then but we saw some mighty nice bucks back there. We also hunted the back end of crab too. With some walking there was some great area back there. We would hunt even during Deer gun season and all the time during bow season and rarely came across anyone Bow hunting. I think if I ever had to public Gun hunt again I'd try and draw crab. If its like it was 14 years ago with a little work and walking there were some big deer there. Glad to hear about the 160", thats a great buck, public or private!

SecondChance 02-27-2013 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by fastetti (Post 4038677)
Man, I used to walk those woods by John A Logan all the time. I think it was just East of Logan and across 13 from it. Our "Honey Hole" for Rabbits, Dove and Quail was across from Logan. I wasn't into deer hunting as much back then but we saw some mighty nice bucks back there. We also hunted the back end of crab too. With some walking there was some great area back there. We would hunt even during Deer gun season and all the time during bow season and rarely came across anyone Bow hunting. I think if I ever had to public Gun hunt again I'd try and draw crab. If its like it was 14 years ago with a little work and walking there were some big deer there. Glad to hear about the 160", thats a great buck, public or private!

We use a boat on Rend and Crab alot to access many areas. Takes alot of walking out. Get to places that you don't/won't see anyone the whole weekend there. We camp a lot of times just to keep from running in and out.