Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Question for guys with early gun seasons in their state!!!!! >

Question for guys with early gun seasons in their state!!!!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Question for guys with early gun seasons in their state!!!!!

Old 02-14-2013, 10:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Question for guys with early gun seasons in their state!!!!!

Here in Ohio there is no early gun seasons. Now, the ODNR wants to put in a doe only 2 day muzzle loader season in the middle of October. Personally, I think this is a horrible idea. I have have several buddies that agree with me. As a matter of fact I don't think anyone I have asked thinks this is a good idea. For those of you in states with early gun seasons does this push the deer to become more nocturnal? My major complaint about this whole idea is that it will be just before the hunting is really starting to get good. Then you will have a couple hundred thousand hunters tromping through the woods and there goes our bow season down the tubes. I would like to hear some of your guys opinions.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator

I don't want to lose the two day extended shotgun season. I always like hunting doe on that 2 day season when (hopefully) my buck is out of the way.
-Jake
Old 02-17-2013, 12:58 PM
Fork Horn

I live in indiana and the thought of that makes me cringe!
Old 02-18-2013, 12:11 AM
Spike

Really good thread!
Old 02-18-2013, 05:59 AM
Fork Horn

Here in MD we have an early muzzloader season the last part of October for about 10 days. It does kind of suck having that right before the rut really kicks in. But the rut makes deer make mistakes so I don't think it really hurts. I typically hunt a bow only are during the rut anyway.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:15 PM
Fork Horn

ManofThe Fall, I understand your concerns, but I welcome the idea of a two day Muzzeloader hunt in October and getting rid of the 2 day gun weekend. I like that it will be warmer and I do not think it will turn the deer nocturnal because they will already have been hunted enough by that time anyway.

Just my two cents.
CVG Ohio
Old 02-19-2013, 04:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Every state different; conditions change

One thing is certain. Conditions change over ten and twenty years. Nothing stays the exact same way.
While deer hunting is an opportunity, each state has to try and balance out the herd, with the number of deer hunter's available. Not too many deer; not too few.
I've lived or been in states with the most hunters, and the least number of hunters. And if the hunter only lived in one state, he may have the least amount of perspective.
And there is no guarantee on the one square mile you pick to hunt. I often changed locations, due to overhunting and diseases that hit the deer. Never expected a guarantee.

Last edited by Valentine; 02-19-2013 at 04:35 AM.