Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Cheap Arrows for practice >

Cheap Arrows for practice

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Cheap Arrows for practice

Old 01-24-2013, 12:40 AM
Fork Horn

Default Cheap Arrows for practice

Hey everyone, new to bowhunting/archery in general. Where can I find a bunch of cheap arrows to practice with? Seems like I broke 4-5 the first day I tried practicing and so now we dont have too many left. If you guys can tell me where I can get a stack of them it would be great.

Looking for cheap carbon, maybe wood.

thanks
Old 01-24-2013, 04:17 AM
Typical Buck

Default Some advice....

Originally Posted by Chopayne
Hey everyone, new to bowhunting/archery in general. Where can I find a bunch of cheap arrows to practice with? Seems like I broke 4-5 the first day I tried practicing and so now we dont have too many left. If you guys can tell me where I can get a stack of them it would be great.

Looking for cheap carbon, maybe wood.

thanks
You should practice with what you are using in the field to include, but not limited to, clothing and platform.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:30 AM
Fork Horn

Hey tight, thanks I will do that when I get better. But im just trying to get the basics down first, and I need more arrows toto keep doing it. Apparently those arrows hitting cement walls and gravel is bad news
Old 01-24-2013, 05:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

go to your local archery shop they usually have a can full of misfits cheap.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:07 AM
Fork Horn

Ahh thanks!
Old 01-24-2013, 07:10 AM
Typical Buck

Not sure what brand or model you plan to hunt with but Gold Tip arrows might be a good place to start. They make a few different models that gradually increase in price but stay the same for grains per inch. For instance, an entry level model would be an expedition hunter which runs about $ 40.00 to $45.00 a half dozen, next level up would be a XT hunter that retails about $10.00 higher than the expedition hunter. Then you could step up to the pro series that would not really be necessary unless you are shooting competition or want the straightest arrows. Grains per inch are all 8.2 on these three models and the difference being that as price goes up, the arrow straightness also gets better. Good luck. HD.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:12 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the info, im talking about getting used arrows to get technique and practice down. I saw a lot on ebay - pack of 50 for $99. So really looking for the cheap $2-$3 arrows made out of carbon.

I also have alot of broken arrows (shaft still good, but the ends torn off) Is there a link anyone has so that I can possibly fix these and use them?
Old 01-24-2013, 09:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm gonna chime in here.

I think you need to change your mindset from looking for "cheap" arrows to get your "technique and practice down". To me, you are setting yourself up for failure. Cheap arrows are just that and may lead to frustration and possibly poor form. For instance, what if these cheap arrows are bent, not properly spined, fletched wrong, incorrect length, etc. The list can go on.

I suggest you get a half dozen of the least expensive, brand new arrows you can afford. Get them cut to the proper length and fletched with bright fletching. Buy field points that are the same grain as the broadhead you intend to use. As mentioned before, Gold Tip makes quality arrows in several price ranges as do other manufacturers. 100% carbon arrows will bend, but won't stay bent. Any arrow with aluminum in it may stay bent. So, I suggest carbon arrows for now.

If you are missing the target, move closer. There is no real reason to miss the target butt unless you are screwing around and not taking it seriously unless your equipment is malfunctioning. I don't think you are taking this seriously by bouncing arrows off of a concrete wall. Don't get me wrong, I've done it myself. But, I prefer to ruin my own arrows by hitting them with another arrow. That's when you move to a multi-spot target so you quit shooting nocks off.

Go to a pro shop. Buy a half dozen from them. They may let you have a half hour of range time. They should have a complete wall that is target butt. Get a lesson or two. Find a club and shoot with others.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:12 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by rogerstv
I'm gonna chime in here.

I think you need to change your mindset from looking for "cheap" arrows to get your "technique and practice down". To me, you are setting yourself up for failure. Cheap arrows are just that and may lead to frustration and possibly poor form. For instance, what if these cheap arrows are bent, not properly spined, fletched wrong, incorrect length, etc. The list can go on.

I suggest you get a half dozen of the least expensive, brand new arrows you can afford. Get them cut to the proper length and fletched with bright fletching. Buy field points that are the same grain as the broadhead you intend to use. As mentioned before, Gold Tip makes quality arrows in several price ranges as do other manufacturers. 100% carbon arrows will bend, but won't stay bent. Any arrow with aluminum in it may stay bent. So, I suggest carbon arrows for now.

If you are missing the target, move closer. There is no real reason to miss the target butt unless you are screwing around and not taking it seriously unless your equipment is malfunctioning. I don't think you are taking this seriously by bouncing arrows off of a concrete wall. Don't get me wrong, I've done it myself. But, I prefer to ruin my own arrows by hitting them with another arrow. That's when you move to a multi-spot target so you quit shooting nocks off.

Go to a pro shop. Buy a half dozen from them. They may let you have a half hour of range time. They should have a complete wall that is target butt. Get a lesson or two. Find a club and shoot with others.
+1 something aint right if your shooting all over the place.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:26 PM
Fork Horn

i know what you are saying. i shot the cheapest arrows i could find for 4 months. i actually shot my first deer with these. they were arrows from walmart for 3 dollars each. i broke, lost, and everything else with these arrows and wasnt really out anything. i know shoot beman ics hunters which will be a good choice when you decide to step it up a bit. beware of the walmart arrows though, you will not get accuracy past 30 yards or group very well at all within 30. i shot my first deer and 30 yards, clean kill, but i would not shoot one an inch further.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.