Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
What broad head has the largest cut dia????? >

What broad head has the largest cut dia?????

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What broad head has the largest cut dia?????

Old 02-09-2013, 06:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Charlie P
We talking about the same thing?
That's what I was thinking Charlie, I process evey years five to seven white tail each year.. I'll try to remember that when I'm cutting around that BONE.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

We talking about the same thing?
i was referring to the round solid leg bone itself. the blade is cartilage like and thin. i can puncture it with my cleaning knife. it's not "steel barrell" like. also if you are hitting the shoulder blade, you are likely shooting way too high with the exception of shooting 10 yards or less from a treestand. look at a deer's skeletal system and you will see how high that shoulder blade actually is.

Last edited by CamoCop; 02-09-2013 at 10:52 PM.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

hogs are way tougher than a deer and i can put a 2" Grim Reaper completely through them and into the dirt behind it. so i guess a "large mechanical" is more than capable of taking large game.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

No the shoulder blade is bone. They were tough enough people used to make hoes and other tools out of them.

Last edited by Charlie P; 02-10-2013 at 05:14 AM.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:43 AM
Fork Horn

I shoot the Rage 3 blade with 1-3/4" cutting diameter and haven't lost a single deer yet. Like any broadhead, though, if you don't hit them in a kill zone spot, it will be tough tracking, no matter the cutting diameter.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:49 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by CamoCop
first of all, a whitetails shoulder blades are no where near as toughas a steel barrell. the shoulder blade is just cartilage, not bone. secondly, i said fixed heads are tougher and even explained why. thirdly, if your fixed blade is shot straight through the heart/lungs and a larger expandable is shot through the same spot with no bone interference...you will find your deer sooner than you will with a small fixed head. it's really that simple, more total cutting curface equals more blood loos and larger holes, i stand by my statement.

i do agree with your assessment on Rage's. i have killed deer with them but the blades and head were trashed. also mechanicals take alot more KE and MO to work perfectly. alot of people don't have this and shoot them anyway. my bow shoots 323 fps and has 92 lbs. of KE. i have no trouble putting a 2" Grim Reaper Whitetail Special through a deer's shoulder blades and deep into the dirt on the other side.

by the way, i don't shoot Rage's anymore and haven't for a long time. also i'm not so cheap that i feel the need to reuse a broadhead. if i have to replace a broadhead for every found deer that i shoot, i believe that is a good trade off.
First, the shoulder blade is in fact bone. You can actually get more total cutting surface from a fixed three or four blade head than you do a large 2 blade. Shot through the heart, a large expandable will in no way drop the deer any faster than a small fixed head. You missed on all counts. Shoot what you want, but your reasoning is quite flawed.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by fletch920
First, the shoulder blade is in fact bone. You can actually get more total cutting surface from a fixed three or four blade head than you do a large 2 blade. Shot through the heart, a large expandable will in no way drop the deer any faster than a small fixed head. You missed on all counts. Shoot what you want, but your reasoning is quite flawed.
it's obvious you like to pick and choose what you read. i never said anywhere that a large 2 blade Rage had a larger total cutting surface than a fixed 3 or 4 blade. i did say a large 3 blade expandable such as the 2" Grim Reaper has a larger total cutting surface than the 2.3" 2 blade Rage even though that Rage has a larger cutting diameter. too bad i can't draw pictures for you on here. i also said that the same 2" Grim Reaper (which is a 3 blade) has a larger total cutting surface than your fixed 3 blades. more area cut does in fact equal more and faster blood loss which in return equals faster death. i guess that 30 years in bowhunting experience doesn't equal common sense.

Last edited by CamoCop; 02-14-2013 at 01:19 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:45 AM
Spike

huh? You shoot more then once a hunt, with the same arrow?
ya i usually kill more than one deer and i have certain arrows because i need new ones cause my lucky arrow s getting past its prime
Old 02-16-2013, 06:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

Might be loosing something in the translation. You saying you usually shoot more then one deer a season or every time you go hunting?
Old 02-17-2013, 01:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like using mechanical broadheads when I'm Bow Hunting and the fixed broadheads if I'm using a ground blind and have to shoot thru the mesh windows?Right now I'm using the 3-bladed fixed steel broadheads "HellRazors" from NAP.A lot of Hunters brag on the Rage Broadheads...main thing is keeping a good sharp blade and good placement!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.