Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Worst hunting trip of my life. >

Worst hunting trip of my life.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Worst hunting trip of my life.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:05 AM
Fork Horn

I'm assuming that you where using a bow. I would suggest that you check your equipment for possible failure. I have had pins break and not realize it for couple of days and I've also had my site come loose. Just a suggestion in case you haven't thought of that.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:10 PM
Fork Horn

Default On point!

Originally Posted by monoped
Dropping arm instead of bending at waist from tree caused a miss.
My favorite while serious was early in my bowhunting,in my mind this deer was almost in the truck all ready,so close i all most had to lean back to shoot over its back into an oak. i suspect arrow went right where i pointed it because i can,t say it was properly aimed.
X2 If you dont practice from the stand shooting perfectly forgetting to bend at the waist will cause a consitent miss. Set a tree stand up and practice with your 3d traget and get comfertable shooting at all types of angles in the treestand! And if you cant remeber if you bent at the waist then you didnt. Just put it in the mental checklist and go through it befor everyshot.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:43 AM
Fork Horn

I'll bet you're dropping your arm. I've been there, you probably don't even realize that your doing it! You must tell yourself to follow through when shooting that arrow!
Old 01-07-2013, 06:55 AM
Fork Horn

I just wanted to add, the reason you are dropping your arm is to see the arrow better. Follow through and you'll see it hit the deer!
Old 01-08-2013, 06:58 PM
MZS
Typical Buck

Ditto others here: When you practice, make it a point on each shot to watch your target after the arrow strikes - then focus on doing the same when you shoot at a deer. Follow through is important in any shooting/hitting sport. For me I found this to be helpful.

Also, check to see that your bow shoots the same when it sits unused in freezing temps - Some bows can be way off when sitting in cold for a while. So leave it outside for 3 hours and then see what happens in the first shot. For my bow, I have to draw back on it every half hour when hunting in freezing temps to keep it from stiffening up.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:14 AM
Fork Horn

Default Be sure

Be sure to check all of your gear for looseness.
Sights, flipper (if you use one), mount, counterbalance, etc.

Make a checklist then go back out and test everything.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:25 PM
Spike

I think just about everyone's had a bad hunting trip... take the advice and next time will be better for ya.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not sure how many hunting trips you have been on. But if that is your worst trip ever, your doin ok my friend! Lol i have had much worse!
Old 02-01-2013, 06:35 AM
Spike

Aint human if you don't miss once in a while I missed a really massive buck this past year at 23 yards. First deer I have missed with my bow in my 9 years of hunting. I was devastated after that miss. I started to question myself and doubt my ability to make the shot. Ended up passing on a few more deer because I was lacking that confidence. I plan to regain that confidence this spring turkey hunting with my bow
Old 02-08-2013, 03:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

archery is all about consistency and proper form has a ton to do with it. always bend at the waiste or you're likely to miss high.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.