HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   1 Inch Broadhead too small? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/377108-1-inch-broadhead-too-small.html)

BarnesX.308 12-28-2012 06:17 PM

1 Inch Broadhead too small?

Shot a buck right behind the shoulder today with a 1 inch fixed broadhead. Blood was OK for 100 yards and then really bad. Tracked the buck in the snow for 2 miles and lost the track with other deer. Is this cutting diameter pushing it or did I just have really bad luck? Shot was about 23 yards from a 15 foot tree stand so the exit was a little low. But, entrance was in the text book spot. My guess is I got the first lung and clipped the other.

Savage Sniper 12-28-2012 08:04 PM

1 inch i really small i think. the smallest i would probably go is 1.25-1.5 inches.

randy3oo3 12-28-2012 08:56 PM

although 1" is legal most everywhere... I prefer a broad head with a 1 1/2" to 2" cutting surface. But in my opinion your arrow placement at that great an incline was a little low. Had you raised your placement of that arrow 2-2 1/2 inches at that angle you would have most likely found that deer within 100yds.

BP_Niccum 12-29-2012 01:53 PM

Brother sounds like you may have missed the vitals if he went that far and is still running. If you took out one lung the deer wouldnt have gotten that far. 1 inch is a little small though legal id stick with 1.5 inches. . Did the deer duck the shot maybe I have seen deer duck perfect shots getting so low maybe he ducked and your shot that was spot on from the angle tured out not so good cause he ducked low and it hit through High? Did you recover the arrow?

ihookem1 12-30-2012 02:07 PM

I don't think ya hit the vitals. I don't think a deer can go that far with a field tip through a lung.

huntingkidPA 12-31-2012 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by ihookem1 (Post 4021792)
I don't think ya hit the vitals. I don't think a deer can go that far with a field tip through a lung.

x2. i shot a deer with a hell razor a year ago and clipped one lung. that might be a 1.25" diameter. he went 60 yards and piled up.

sdhunter11 01-01-2013 04:18 PM

The muzzy's i shoot only have a cutting diameter of 1 3/16" and i have never had a problem.

tight360 01-02-2013 05:58 PM

Too small?

You mentioned exit wound, that suggests to me a pass through. The broad head did its job, nothing wrong there. Double lung or heart shot there is no difference between a 1 inch, or 1 plus. Dead deer.

gregrn43 01-03-2013 08:40 PM

Sometimes things just dont go as expected. Back in early fall this year I shot a doe using 100gr muzzy. The arrow entered right behind the shoulder midway in the chest and then exited. I thought to myself dead deer she wont go far. I just kept hunting in the stand for another hour before getting down to look for her. I follow a blood trail for about 100yards before it pettered out. I thought to myself dang I know that was a good shot. I started ranging out in half moon type circles with each circle going deeper in the woods. Finally I came across her, she had ran over 200 yards. She was laying on the exit side and there was a hole in her flank. I thought I dont believe this (I know I didnt hit that deer there). When I rolled her over there was the entrance hole midway in the chest right behind the shoulder. That arrow turned as soon as it entered her and came out the flank. Never had that to happen before.