HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Help (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/377069-help.html)

sutton 12-28-2012 04:40 AM

Help

ok i need your guys help So ive been hunting late season hard so far ive been out evryday waiting for a decent buck. Well today it happened. a large main frame 10 steped out he was broken up but he had a double main beam on his left side. I first spotted him at about 150 yds out he was walking right at me he came to about 30 yds straight on and i was waiting for him to turn broadside. BUT, HE LOOKED RIGHT UP AT ME!!!! he stopped then he turned to the right and ran about 10- 15 yds. i pulled up the crossbow ( would have had my bow but my dad bought a new crossbow and was telling me how great it was and i try and shoot atleast one deer with every weapon we have.) so i had one smalll opening between 2 trees and i thought its now or never and i pulled the trigger. I instantly heard a loud smack and the deer took off on a hard run and i watched him run about 150 yds until he went out of sight. At first i thought i must have hit the tree because you cannot see the crossbow bolt fly. well anyhow i was bumed and decided to get out of the tree and look at where he was standing and sure enough i saw hair and the i looked found my arrow that had blood on it but couldnt tell how much because it went into the 6 in of snow. anyhow i followed his tracks for 30 yards and he was spraying blood like every 3 feet but it wasnt alot of blood but a decent amount and the blood really didnt look like lung blood but its hard to tell in the snow. also he bled instantly. The broad head is an over the top expandenable so i know the entrance hole is small Im going to give him 4 hours before i look i feel like i hit low i almost felt like i skimmed him but i heard a loud whack and i know i didnt hit any trees what are your guys thoughts where do you think i hit him and how long should i wait.

VA5326 12-28-2012 06:06 AM

From the sound and description, I would think it a high shoulder shot. I'd give him at least 8 hrs and no less than 6 hrs. Any marginal shot, I automatically give the animal 8 hrs. Read some of the STICKIES! Giving the animal 8 hrs greatly increases your chances of recovery. I lost a great one years ago by taking up the trail too early. Ever since, I am 2 for 2 with recoveries. I waited 8 hrs on both. It's tough to wait that long, but grit your teeth and do it. You'll be happy you did.

sutton 12-28-2012 11:38 AM

I got him!!!! He has 2 main beams on his left side and I kicker that goes down and his right side is a nice main frame 10 with a broken g3

lifesadrag 12-28-2012 12:59 PM

congrats.....lets see the pics!!!

randy3oo3 12-28-2012 09:02 PM

Well done. Congrats on the cross bow kill. Are you giving up the bow or is time to break it back out... Dilemas

sutton 12-29-2012 09:47 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 24373

Attachment 24374

sutton 12-29-2012 09:48 AM

i posted 2 pictures of him. most unique buck i have ever harvested. And as for my bow well i love the new crossbow but there is no way ill ever switch and theres no way ill ever put my bow down theres nothing like harvesting a an animal with my bow

BP_Niccum 12-29-2012 11:52 AM

Awesome deer bud Nice Character!

VA5326 12-30-2012 06:51 AM

Great buck! Congrats! Where did you end up hitting him and how long did you wait to take up the trail?

sutton 12-30-2012 07:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
well i waited 4 and a half hours then i decided to take to the trail and i decided that i wa going to walk no more than 150 yds and seee what the blood trail looked like. Sure enough there he was lying there dead stiff as a board. I ended up making a slightly quarting away shot that went in right behind the shoulder and it slid off the opposite shoulder when i cut him open he was full of blood to make a long story short because of the poor blood trail i have decided to never shoot those broad heads again for the shot i made there should have been alot more blood but the holes were so small it embarassing. Anyhow Im taking him to the taxi today to have him caped im using the cape off this deer to remount my 80 yr old gradnfathers largest buck ever. My grandfather is not in good shape and i promised him that i was going to have it remounted this year even if i had to use a doe cape.
Attachment 24387