Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Help

Old 12-30-2012, 04:45 PM
Fork Horn

First off, Congrats! Good story and I'm glad you waited even though you probably didnt need too(4 hrs for me is min on a unknown hit, 8 hrs min if I think it's a bad hit) That really would increase everyone's recovery rate if they just wait... Especially in late season. It isn't going to hurt the meat.

Secondly, I'm not a fan a of over the top broadheads either, on a crossbow. A guy on my property lost a 8 pt with that setup this year. Although I have harvested some with the compound bow, they dont seem reliable to me.

Finally, I think the broadhead DID a great job. Even if you didn't have a great blood trail. It sounds like it didn't run 100 yds (meaning a quick kill). I'm guessing , the entry hole was probably middle of the boiler room or higher. This can be a great kill shot BUT the blood trail for the first 75 yds could suck, the cavity has to fill up with blood but before it pours out the entry and exit wounds. Don't believe all the hype of "someone dumped a can of red paint". That isn't the norm. Maybe 2 out of my 16 were like that. My last two, both were heart shots and neither had a great blood trail (I actually shoot for the heart now). No two deals ever seem the same. And tracking has become more and more fun.

Anyway, great buck and good luck next year.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's a beauty......congrats!!!
Old 12-31-2012, 04:15 PM
Typical Buck

Good explanation. Sounds like you waited long enough. That's pretty honorable using your cape for your Grandpa's old mount. Good on ya.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

your a good man Sutton!! Congrats on your buck too!!!

Hatchet Jack
Old 01-01-2013, 10:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Very nice buck!!!!! I'm sure your Grandfather will proudly be able to show off his new found trophy. Great job!!!!!
Old 01-03-2013, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats dude, i love it when these type of "help" posts end well.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:28 AM
Fork Horn

Nice buck glad you were able to find him
Old 01-03-2013, 03:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm glad you found your buck! Damned nice of you to hook up your grandpa like that. I just (New Years Eve) lost a doe a few days ago because I went after her too soon. I do know better, but as I watched her run back into the thicket, I heard what I believed to be her crashing about 50yrds in, then everything was silent. You can't "always" judge how bad a deer is hit by the amount of blood you see. Looking at this blood I thought for sure I was going to find a dead deer, but after tracking her for about 3/4 mile, I believe this deer actually survived! .
Attached Thumbnails Help-img_1452-custom-.jpg   Help-img_1453-custom-.jpg  
Old 01-03-2013, 08:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Glad you found your buck and a nice one to, congratulations
Old 01-04-2013, 07:04 AM
Fork Horn

Very nice story!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.