Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What do I need?

Old 12-28-2012, 04:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

lots of things depending on where and when you hunt. One thing I always take is 10x42 bino's, fog and waterproof. Costs a lot to get started at first but over the years the average per year cost isn't bad at all.

A positive attitude is a must.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:59 PM
Fork Horn

Yeah you'll also find out some things that you need or want when you start hunting. I know I started out with the items you mentioned and before I knew it, I had my pack full of goodies lol. Thinking about taking some out now. But you'll figure out what you need. I would really suggest marking off yardage points though. And practice from all yardages all the way out to your maximum shooting distance that you feel comfortable with. Good luck and I can't wait to see some pics of your first bow kill!
Old 12-29-2012, 12:44 PM
Spike

What broad heads would you guys recommend? If I can take the class early enough I'll still have some time to hunt for some coyotes before deer season. Would I need different kinds of heads for different animals?
Old 12-29-2012, 12:56 PM
Fork Horn

What gains field point is your bow sighted in with? Use same grains on broadheads to keep close to what you have sighted in. I like fixed blade broadheads though Im shure there will be plenty that love there mechanical and disagree. Its personal prefernece and when your new its one less thing you need to think about and pay attention to when your hunting. Dont get to wraped up in the gear to bring soon you will find you have to much CRAP. Get some experince under your belt and then decide how you want to hunt.

Good Luck

Niccum
Old 12-29-2012, 01:02 PM
Spike

It was sighted in for 100 grain. I realize there are tons of options out there. Are there any pros of cons to either, or is it more personal preference. If it doesn't matter I'll go with price.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:11 PM
Fork Horn

This is the killing device on your weapon, Dont be cheep here. I use G5 100grains fixed blades and have had good success on many types of animals. But You will need to shoot it befor you go out you owe it to the animal to do everything you can for a clean harvest.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:12 PM
Fork Horn

You can be cheep on the cammo!
Old 12-29-2012, 01:34 PM
Spike

I didn't mean I'd cheap out on the head. I was referring to a fixed over mechanical. If its just about personal preference I'd go with the less expensive option. That being said, is there a big difference in prices, what would make something cheap. The type of metal being used or other things?
Old 12-29-2012, 01:45 PM
Fork Horn

Ya some 15 doller pack of wall mart broadheads is cheep metal and wont hold and edge for crap I dont like loose or mechanical blades because Machines fail and though it will work 98% of the time perfect as designed I dont want the one time I need them to work on maybe the not so greatest shot angle for it to fail. Not all mechanicals are the same My OLD man LOVEs Rage mecahnical broadheads though they are made extreamly well and make a HUGE hole its still mechanical, it can fail to open, fail to depoly correctly and give a chance for murpheys law to crap on your day. But with Fixed blade braod heads it takes the chances out of the equasion. Its still razor sharp and wont break or fail to depoly correctly because its one piece of metal it wont give. All in all its up to you I have given you to top names for both fixed and mechanical and two pro and cons. So im not being bais. Let us know how it goes and what you choose to do!
Old 12-29-2012, 07:19 PM
Spike

After reading online, I'm going with the G5s. Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.