Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What do I need?

Old 12-27-2012, 02:25 PM
Spike

Default What do I need?

So I'm new to bowhunting, actually new to hunting in general. Going to take the basic hunter education course soon. My question is what will I need for a day of hunting? I have my bow and arrows however I will need broad heads. What else? Clothing? Backpack? Knives, etc? Discuss. Thanks in advance
Old 12-27-2012, 02:48 PM
Fork Horn

First thing I'd like to ask is have you practiced with fieldpoints? I'm not trying to be a smart butt just curious. If you havent, that's where you need to start as long as your draw length and draw weight is correct. Did you buy your bow at a pro shop and did they get your measurements?
Old 12-27-2012, 03:13 PM
Spike

Yes I have, I was actually able to set something up at work to be able to shoot. It's about 18 yards long. I did go to a pro shop and was measured. We shot the bow and had it set up for me before I left.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:19 PM
Fork Horn

your gonna need a decent set of camo, scent control, rubber boots, you surely have a release, and you have the left over cash, a tree stand, knife(i prefer gut hooks).
walmart is good place to start if you are poor, you get what you pay for.
bass pro or cabelas would hook you up with some nicer things for a heftier price.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:28 PM
Fork Horn

I'd also get a range finder or some orange marking tape to mark off yardages in your shooting lanes. Also a little hand saw to trim limbs. I do carry a pack with alot of stuff in it like paracord, knife, headlamp,grunt tube(optional), rattle bag(optional), orange tape or tacks, and alot of other stuff. If I think of anything thats a must, Ill post it.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:01 PM
Typical Buck

a fanny pack is a big thing for me. never go hunting with out it.

as for a knife/tool i suggest a multi tool. Its been a huge help for me. I got a leatherman rebar. got a knife, saw, file, heavy pliers and about 14 other tools in it. weighs about 1.5lb. Its the only thing i grab when im setting up my stand or clearing shooting lane and just going hunting, strap it on my belt and im ready.. the blade is 420hc steel. no gut hook but its not hard to gut a deer with out one. I never really considered one for hunting and outdoors work till i got one.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:19 PM
Spike

Excellent, my local Walmart doesn't have much when it comes to any hunting related items. I do have a bass pro shop about 45 minutes away. I figure I'll start asking now and just pick things up now a little at a time so I'm not buying everything all at once.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:43 PM
Dominant Buck

I take my bow, arrows, knife, and clothes. Thats about it.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:26 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by huntingkidPA
a fanny pack is a big thing for me. never go hunting with out it.

as for a knife/tool i suggest a multi tool. Its been a huge help for me. I got a leatherman rebar. got a knife, saw, file, heavy pliers and about 14 other tools in it. weighs about 1.5lb. Its the only thing i grab when im setting up my stand or clearing shooting lane and just going hunting, strap it on my belt and im ready.. the blade is 420hc steel. no gut hook but its not hard to gut a deer with out one. I never really considered one for hunting and outdoors work till i got one.
You are right about the multi tool. I've used mine many times. As someone else already said, sounds like you already have a release. If not you'll need to get one.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:35 PM
Spike

All I have at the moment is my bow, a dozen arrows with field points, a release and a case.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.