Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scouting help

Old 12-10-2012, 08:42 AM
Spike

Default Scouting help

I'm new to the forum and want to get really serious about hunting this up coming year. Archery is my favorite season but i don't have very good luck. I know its me and my scout/tree-stands/approach/etc. I attached a map of the swamp im going to hunt. The big buck was killed by a vehicle around the red pin(from story im told it was crossing 53 near there), no one knew it was around or alive. The white pin is the other buck my cousin shot. So i know bucks run this swamp and big ones at that, i just need help on where to scout, put camera's at and stuff. I really appreciate any help.

Blue Line - Small river
Green Line - Old rail road bed for walking, has grass, 4 wheelers use, slight traffic
Red Pin - Big Buck Killed by car
White Pin - Cousin shot buck

Swamp is mostly mushy, tall grass, cat nine tails, 5-12 Bushes, Dead trees.
Attached Thumbnails Scouting help-hdale-swamp.jpg   Scouting help-photo-7-.jpg   Scouting help-photo-8-.jpg  

Last edited by Murarik35; 12-10-2012 at 08:52 AM.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:35 PM
Typical Buck

Well to start, the creek is a natural travel corridor so look there
Old 12-10-2012, 04:31 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by fishinty
Well to start, the creek is a natural travel corridor so look there
exactly right, it looks like both dead bucks probably ran the river bottom, id find some good trails along the river to set stands and cameras. Keep a close eye on the time specific pics are taken, it could give you a good idea on how close you are to a bedding area. good luck and welcome to the forum.

Last edited by sdhunter11; 12-10-2012 at 05:37 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:17 AM
Spike

Thanks for the help. Would you walk the river for crossing spots and paths? Also walk the the transition line along the swamp closet to those field? I know they say funnels, that tree area between the two fields would be a good place to start?

Would the smart thing to do - scout this winter, look for beds, GPS travel routes, food sources, scrapes, rubs, beds. Then i can plan my trees to hunt and which wind with entry and exit routes.

I watched the video "marsh bucks", was very helpful but here in central PA, we cannot spot at all hours the night and its impossible to even watch the fields i want to hunt, so how do you guys go about knowing the deer is in a certain spot to hunt? With out burning the bridge of them smelling your or leaving scent they can cross to be put on alert.

Last edited by Murarik35; 12-11-2012 at 05:38 AM.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:32 PM
Typical Buck

Default Myself....

I look for what appears to be little used trails that crossover what I like to call doe highways. Find an intersection that sits some 40-60 yards down wind (predominately) from a food source or bed, then set up 20 yards down wind from the intersection. I've harvested a few nice bucks that were cruising the little used trail winding the food/beds.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:17 AM
Fork Horn

I'd start at the narrowest point along the creek and also where the woods go up between the fields.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:37 AM
Typical Buck

I watched the video "marsh bucks", was very helpful but here in central PA, we cannot spot at all hours the night and its impossible to even watch the fields i want to hunt, so how do you guys go about knowing the deer is in a certain spot to hunt? With out burning the bridge of them smelling your or leaving scent they can cross to be put on alert.
I am actually the person who produced the marsh bucks DVD about scouting tactics in marshes... There is a new DVD available called "extreme whitetail tactics" that would probably help you. Here is a link, its only $5 rigfht now:
http://www.thehuntingbeast.com/shop/...?id_category=8
Anywho, to get back to your question, although I portrayed a lot of shining in the video, there is a lot of ground I hunt that I cannot shine... It really takes a lot of foot work. In my opinion you need to find the buck bedding areas and hunt close just like we do it in the DVD, you don't have to follow the plan to a "T" just use what you can in your situation... If you have cattails, there is usually great buck bedding associated with them. Walk the edges and find trails going in and out. If your season is over, follow the trails and find the beds, look at where your closest set ups could be... Think about what that buck can see and smell from his bed... Also look at the transition lines where swamps meet woods, where thick cover meets open cover... If you have any questions about the tactics in our DVD's or shows feel free to PM me..