Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Im having trouble bringing my pin up to dead center >

Im having trouble bringing my pin up to dead center

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Im having trouble bringing my pin up to dead center

Old 12-10-2012, 09:16 AM
Typical Buck

sounds like poundage may be at your limit,
where you can draw it back, but losing control of your bow,
i would down the # to 65 and try,
or you may have to get used to shooting while moving,
your aim wont stay directly on the bullseye, but as your bow goes up and down slowly you learn to release at the right moment
Old 12-10-2012, 11:41 AM
Spike

Default Thanks for the help

Thanks for all the help guys I will try to get it figured out but I am increasing my draw length to 29". But in the mean time i will give all of your theories a try!
Old 12-10-2012, 01:59 PM
Spike

#1 I would get the correct draw length set at an archery shop instead of guessing at it.

#2 drop your poundage down around 62 - 65. It sounds like you might be dropping your bow arm from pulling to much weight.

#3 try floating the pin across the target instead of holding on it.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

It's called 'freezing' and is a form of target panic. I've known a lot of people over the years that have come down with that problem and it can be rough to overcome. Do a web search on target panic and you'll find all kinds of 'reprogramming' techniques you can try, like shooting blank bale targets at 10 yards, or drawing and acquiring the target over and over again without shooting.

Switching your shooting style from coming up on the dot to lowering down is a good thing to try. A good many of the shooters I've known to get this form of TP were completely cured by doing that. Some have gotten relief by switching to a different type of release. Some have just given in and sighted their pins in so they use a 6 o'clock hold instead of holding the pin in the spot. Some gave up on compounds completely and switched to traditional. Still others gave up archery altogether.

If you've got the means, it would behoove you to try and hire a coach to guide you through the target panic jungle.

My own version of target panic was an inability to get to full draw before releasing. It stinks! Finally found out it was pain from arthritis in my shoulders that was causing my problem and forced me to quit bows-n-arrows.

I wish you luck.
Old 12-25-2012, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Arthur P
It's called 'freezing' and is a form of target panic. I've known a lot of people over the years that have come down with that problem and it can be rough to overcome. Do a web search on target panic and you'll find all kinds of 'reprogramming' techniques you can try, like shooting blank bale targets at 10 yards, or drawing and acquiring the target over and over again without shooting.

Switching your shooting style from coming up on the dot to lowering down is a good thing to try. A good many of the shooters I've known to get this form of TP were completely cured by doing that. Some have gotten relief by switching to a different type of release. Some have just given in and sighted their pins in so they use a 6 o'clock hold instead of holding the pin in the spot. Some gave up on compounds completely and switched to traditional. Still others gave up archery altogether.

If you've got the means, it would behoove you to try and hire a coach to guide you through the target panic jungle.

My own version of target panic was an inability to get to full draw before releasing. It stinks! Finally found out it was pain from arthritis in my shoulders that was causing my problem and forced me to quit bows-n-arrows.

I wish you luck.
It could be like others have said as being TP, but if you are physically trying to move the pin up and it will not go then I would say it very well could be your muscles. When you move your finger over the trigger your muscles move and could "lock up" thus bringing your bow down.
Old 12-25-2012, 06:08 PM
Spike

Yep, definately "target panic"