Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Is 35 lbs enough to kill deer? >

Is 35 lbs enough to kill deer?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is 35 lbs enough to kill deer?

Old 12-08-2012, 06:19 AM
Spike

Question Is 35 lbs enough to kill deer?

Hello everybody,

I just made 35lbs homemade wooden bow,and i probably wont go hunting for sometime,but if i go that would be my first hunting ever,so i want to ask you,will 35 pounds kill deer from 25 yard distance and will i be able to kill it with single shot in any part of body,or only organs?

Thanks
Old 12-08-2012, 06:54 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Jurassic Park
Hello everybody,

I just made 35lbs homemade wooden bow,and i probably wont go hunting for sometime,but if i go that would be my first hunting ever,so i want to ask you,will 35 pounds kill deer from 25 yard distance and will i be able to kill it with single shot in any part of body,or only organs?

Thanks
35# is the minimum poundage to hunt deer in many states, NY and PA that I know of.
So yes it is enough, just make sure its legal in your state, and be selective on your shots,
Old 12-08-2012, 08:15 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Terasec
35# is the minimum poundage to hunt deer in many states, NY and PA that I know of.
So yes it is enough, just make sure its legal in your state, and be selective on your shots,
Will that work with handmade wooden bow,because im not a professional in making bows.

Ps.

Thanks for answering
Old 12-08-2012, 08:23 AM
Typical Buck

Will that work with handmade wooden bow,because im not a professional in making bows.

Ps.

Thanks for answering
I am speaking on pure speculation.
First how are you determining its 35#?
Actually tested on a bow scale? If not I would stop by a shop and have them check # for you.
Now when in a field how a game warden determines its a legal 35# bow or not I don't know,
Might be worth giving them a call and ask them,
As long as your trying to keep it legal they should offer you some advise
Old 12-08-2012, 08:32 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Terasec
I am speaking on pure speculation.
First how are you determining its 35#?
Actually tested on a bow scale? If not I would stop by a shop and have them check # for you.
Now when in a field how a game warden determines its a legal 35# bow or not I don't know,
Might be worth giving them a call and ask them,
As long as your trying to keep it legal they should offer you some advise
I determined 35# with bow scale,i also check law,and it's allowed as long as it won't drop below 35#.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:02 AM
Typical Buck

I determined 35# with bow scale,i also check law,and it's allowed as long as it won't drop below 35#.
Think your bow is legal as long as its at 35#,
But since its borderline, may come down the warden/official who may stop you.
Ultimate decision is up to them,
I would be prepared for some convincing just in case,
Old 12-08-2012, 10:53 AM
Little Doe Peep

Smile

Hello everybody,

Thanks
I've taken two deer with a 30 pound Proline youth bow that we bought used. (I'm very small.) There is no minimum draw weight in Michigan.

But I limit my shots to 10-12 yards. I might be too conservative, but I think 25 yards with a 35 pound bow might be too long.

I use Magnus single blade broadheads honed extra sharp.

You need to hit the deer in the heart or at least the lungs.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Takes a bunch

Why it must take at least 105 pounds of draw weight to pierce the 10 inches of protective vests those deer are wearing these days.

Kidding of course. But you mean to tell me somebody has the guts to buy a measly bow of only 35 lbs draw.

Some would view such a video of such light weight in absolute shock. Especially after paying over $1000 for a bow that shoots more than 400 feet a second.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:06 PM
Fork Horn

i wouldent but u can shoot some small game
Old 12-10-2012, 09:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

35 lbs will kill a deer, but I would not be shooting at deer at 25 yards with it. Like sachiko mentioned, 10-12, or maybe 15 yards would be a better limit with that type of poundage. Get a good, solid cut on contact fixed broadhead, practice a ton, and go kill something!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.