HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Late Season Cold Weather Clothing For Bow Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/375966-late-season-cold-weather-clothing-bow-hunting.html)

superrman77 11-30-2012 05:25 PM

Late Season Cold Weather Clothing For Bow Hunting

Well guys for those of u who brave it out in the cold I want some of your feedback. I have heard of many raving about wool for quiet some time. I bought a pair of woolrich bibs and was not pleased at all. I want a good set of cold weather gear that is very warm, windproof, waterproof, very lite camo pattern, and quiet. I had arctic shield for a long time it is very warm but it is a little loud and the camo is too dark for late season. No Velcro!!!

uwbadgers 12-01-2012 08:25 AM

I have been using a mummy style -40 degree ratied sleeping bag. I get to my stand, put my safety harness on, take my boots off and climb inside. When something comes I just loosen up the top part using the string inside the bag and it slids off my head and shoulders as I stand. It takes a little practice getting in in while in the stand, but once you figure that part out, it's an easy $50 solution.

Valentine 12-01-2012 09:56 AM

My old bones

don't work too well with bows in freezing weather.

I'd like to think the Iroquois found a warm fire in a lodge on very cold days.

youngfart 12-01-2012 10:20 AM

Here your answer to staying warm, this was me yestderday in_30 for 9 hours,best investment I ever made in the last 22 years to stay warm

early in 12-01-2012 01:03 PM

Rocky, is that the Heater Body Suit? What's it been up there, about +6F the last few days?

superrman77 12-01-2012 01:37 PM

Well thanks for the replies so far. I think I am leaning toward the cabelas stand hunter extreme coveralls. Only downfall is they are not waterproof. They are pricey but if they are as good as most of the reviews i don't mind buying them. Is the heater body suit loud in your opinion?

westcyderydin 12-01-2012 05:08 PM

i paid about 30 dollars for my coat and another 30 or so for the bibs. They have realtree camo and keep me very warm. It is more my hands, feet, and face that i worry about.

youngfart 12-01-2012 07:25 PM

Jeff
With the windchill probably closer to -5 F.
superrman77
It's super quiet and the zipper is the main attraction as it's realy quiet and it just rolls down to the right position to grab your bow and be ready. I didn't think it would be good but yesterday surprised the heck out of me when I wore only my Mucks and my feet which get cold in -40 degree boots were warm as toast. I did just about freeze to death on my walk out as the windchill caused me to get unbearably cold and frostbit my face in only a 600 yard walk to my truck. That's what happens when you hunt the interior of the bush and walk out onto barren flats in the wide open plains of Alberta. I should have bought this 10 years ago when they 1st came out. Helps keep you onstand that much longer when the times get tough.
Rocky:woot:

iamyourhuckleberry 12-02-2012 04:19 AM

Rockstar,

I'm thinking a Heater Face Suit for that frost bite. Plus it'll cover up all that ugly! LOL...

I remember how cold it was hunting Alberta's plains, and sitting on stand with you for nine hours has a way of seperating the men from the boys. I remember wearing two of everything: bibs, stocking caps w/ full face mask, gloves inside mittens w/ hand warmers, two pairs of wool socks w/ toe warmers, -40 degree pac boots, a heavy "Cat" artic vest, etc. I have to believe the Hunter Body suit is the ticket, especially if you say so.

I had to go back and look at the picture...I wore a camo fleece over the artic vest. The big problem with coats, the sleeves get in the way and string slap occurs. If you can roll out of something, I could see how that would be an advantage. I can also image how the walk to and from must be bone chilling...