Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowhunting

Old 12-02-2012, 10:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by croc2116
I have always wondered why people would bowhunt instead of gun hunt! Thought gun hunting was easier. Now that I have been bowhunting for a year, I see why. Not only do you see more deer, its a higher quality encounter, you learn more about behavior, its more of a challenge, it gets my blood pumping, you see more animals in general and I enjoy being in woods more when bowhunting. For all bowhunters out there, thank you.
Not only all the things you said, but gun hunting in many states is not real hunting. It's gunning. When you pick up a bow you learn to HUNT. After so many years the kill becomes only a secondary part of the experience.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:09 PM
Fork Horn

I totally agree BGfisher. I am on my second bow season, havent shot a deer with my bow yet and it has to be the best yet. I have learned alot by watching them and they cant see me. It seems like they have no idea im there sometimes.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:12 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by BGfisher
Not only all the things you said, but gun hunting in many states is not real hunting. It's gunning. When you pick up a bow you learn to HUNT. After so many years the kill becomes only a secondary part of the experience.
You got that right. Although I'm new to bow hunting myself, the first year I learned more about deer and there behaviors more than all of the years put together gun hunting. I'm not in no way putting down people that hunt with guns because I still do some but alot of times that I'm gun hunting, I still have my bow with me. I'm not sure that this is normal. Maybe I've lost my mind carrying 2 weapons but I just can't put the bow down lol.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:20 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by croc2116
I totally agree BGfisher. I am on my second bow season, havent shot a deer with my bow yet and it has to be the best yet. I have learned alot by watching them and they cant see me. It seems like they have no idea im there sometimes.
Looks like we started at the same time. I was lucky enough to get a doe this year. You are in for a rush like you can't believe. Just to know when you are at full draw and it's about to happen is a feeling that I never had with a gun. When it does happen just collect yourself and let r rip. I hope everyone has a great what's left of the season!
Old 12-06-2012, 03:32 PM
Fork Horn

I totally agree NOT THE DOGS, its addicting and I cant put my bow down either. I shoot a few before work, at luch break and when I get home. I didnt even gun hunt this year because I love the bow. This might seem crazy, but I made a promise to myself that I will not gun hunt again until I get one with a bow.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:33 PM
Fork Horn

I should have started bowhunting when I lived down south instead of Maine. Our deer herd is small compared to most other states.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:46 PM
Spike

Its all about the experience. I call it the jazz... and after 47 years of slinging sticks I still get all Jazzed up when the season comes around!!!!!!!!!!!! Haven't used a gun to hunt with in over 25 years and I don't miss it, plus you are matching wits with the deer. In my opinion this is giving the deer his best chance of besting you... he's within 40 yards your heart is beating out your chest your arm is shaking and you have to get your s==t together and seal the deal, NOW THAT'S THE JAZZ
Old 12-29-2012, 04:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Last year I did draw back but somehow the deer felt that something was wrong and decided to run about 10 yards away from me. He was sill only 20 yards out but I decided that since I had been in the draw position and my nerves were a little out of wack, not to take the shot. Not to mention he didn't seem to be as calm as I thought that he should've been. I don't regret making that decision because even if I'd let the arrow fly, there's no telling what would've happened.
Good for you! Nice display of strong will power. I have not displayed that consistently while bowhunting and have injured and lost deer. Those are mistakes that haunt me and I can't take back.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:04 PM
Fork Horn

Im glad you are enjoying your Bowhunting experince! I have taken may animals but I hold all my Bow hunting success higher. I like how Mr Miranda puts it " When 200 yrds is just the beginning"