Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Pesky safety harness. >

Pesky safety harness.

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Pesky safety harness.

Old 11-25-2012, 10:20 AM
Spike

Default Pesky safety harness.

Had a nice 8 point cut to my right through the brush thanksgiving morn. Had to turn all the way to my right. Got ready to draw and safety harness was tight against back of shoulder. No way I could complete the draw. Had to step out and was busted just like that (10 yards). After he left I found I couldnt complete the draw anyway, with strap blocking me plus cold. I found by lengthening about a foot I can complete the draw, but thinking of going back to a belt and strap. That was never in the way. What do you all do?

thanks.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use a rope strap around the tree with a prussic knot on it . This way I can adjust the length for times like you just described . I keep it tight when sitting so I wont fall far but can lengthen at times when nessary . It can double ad a line mans belt.

The One I use came with my harness it's a seat of the pants. I also picked up a couple that I use as line mans belts from here
http://safetreehunt.com/
Very good quality and at. Good price.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:41 PM
Typical Buck

Seat of the pants are good harnesses.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:10 PM
Spike

Thanks. Seat of the pants- Ill look into it. I used to use a figure-8 that came with my old trophy lite stand. Still have it with a lock on.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:32 PM
Dominant Buck

Safety is the most important issue. My friend fell this month and suffered some pretty bad injuries. Lucky to be alive. That buck isn't as important.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:51 PM
Spike

Agreed! I'm a physical therapist and I've helped rehab a number of those injuries. A close friends father died from such a fall. One way or another, I always lock myself in tight!
Old 11-26-2012, 02:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

I use the Muddy harness. It's the easiest to use that I've seen. Stay tied in!!!!
Old 11-26-2012, 04:18 AM
Typical Buck

A Harness is just as important as anything else, if not more important as it is a piece of life saving equipment. In my opinion it is the most overlooked piece of gear in a hunter's inventory. If you want a little more room, use the lineman's-style rope that it comes with. If you want just a little more slack, I'd suggest making a short extension with RATED tubular nylon or buying a RATED prefabricated one through a reputable climbing store (i.e. REI). I'd suggest prefabricated one for those who are inexperienced in tying good knots. PM me if you've got questions.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:50 AM
Spike

Default harness only way to go

dint go back to belt ..... life line with prussic knot best way, At least with harness you have a chance to remain conscious and get back into stand ! Belt may stop your drop ; but the chance of suffocation or upside down too big a risk !! Remember its just a deer !! Good luck
Old 11-27-2012, 03:43 AM
Fork Horn

I've found that if I put the tree tether about nose high when standing, I can draw my bow back with my pulling arm under the tether. Play around with that and stay safe.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.