Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
13 feet off the ground !! >

13 feet off the ground !!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

13 feet off the ground !!

Old 11-22-2012, 01:30 AM
Fork Horn

Default 13 feet off the ground !!

In a continuing attempt to be mobile this year I have been using the climber alot. Worked out all summer doing knee squats etc. to build up my leg strength, have had a bad knee since my mid 30's. Well last night I went out and got thirteen feet off the ground when all of a sudden "POP", the old knee gives out. Man -oh -man did that hurt, I just stopped and hunted from there. Getting down at dark was not a problem, I did not pack up the climber and even attempt to carry it out.

Up this morning to hunt and my knee is swollen big time. Guess I will be finishing off the season out of my ladder stands. Once again the long bow season takes a toll on the old body.

Dave
Old 11-22-2012, 04:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sorry to hear of your shortcoming. How old is this "old body"?
Old 11-23-2012, 04:45 PM
Fork Horn

sorry to hear about your knee. hope it gets better soon and hope you tag a giant for all the hard work your putting!!
Old 11-25-2012, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like minicus tear. No fun, but usually easily fixed with surgery. I'd sure have it looked at.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:57 PM
Typical Buck

My mom tore her ACL this year... She is almost 50. It was a rough recovery process. I wish you the best of luck! Worst of all with her situation, I am stationed overseas so I could not help. If you were able to walk on it though, you probably didn't tear the ACL. Hate to see a good hunter go down... BB
Old 12-01-2012, 02:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't fret-I've killed tons of Deer & Bears from 10 feet & actually several at less. All ladders now & I have 1, 10 footer up, 3, 12 footers & 1, 15.
I've passed on 3 Does out of the 12 footers & 3 from the 10 footer & 1 small buck from the 15 footer.
I have footage of a Doe walking within 10 feet of my 10' stand the other day..
Old 12-03-2012, 04:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

sucks... been there... done that... take it easy for awhile... nagging knee injuries are the worse.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Nursing old injuries seems to pay off

Must have been the injuries when young from basketball and football that kept me in tune with possible injuries.
I exercise the knees now by walking. The thought of knee squats conjures up knee pain just thinking of those confounded exercises that I avoided like the plague after thirty.

Orthopedic surgeons must love ancient and a little overweight tree climbers.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:08 AM
Spike

this is really cool, I like here!

Old 12-06-2012, 02:49 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Beard Buster
My mom tore her ACL this year... She is almost 50. It was a rough recovery process. I wish you the best of luck! Worst of all with her situation, I am stationed overseas so I could not help. If you were able to walk on it though, you probably didn't tear the ACL. Hate to see a good hunter go down... BB
This is only partialy true,if it is a clean tear all the way through the only pain will be the very second it happened,if it is a partial tear they're will be pain involved.But it you were able to walk your self outa the woods then it most likely not a partial acl tear.