Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Big Buck Down

Old 11-11-2012, 04:38 PM
Spike

Default Big Buck Down

Well here it goes. I shot this buck Oct 23. Been a slow season for me, especially the last few weeks with no deer sightings. With the warm weather coming in I wasn't to sure how this week was going to be so I was relunctant to even go hunting at all. Decided that you can't kill them at home so out I went. Weather was around 70 with a west wind of 10-15mph, now I don't really play the wind at this stand because deer have come from every direction so I just hope for the best. I check my trail cam and there is only 3 pic on it so I was really bummed that I haven' been getting any action. Im in my stand around 3:45 and just hanging out watching the 100 chipmunks and squirrels. At 4:55 I decided that I was going to tip "The Can' a few times just to see what happened. Well it wasn't 5 minutes after that and I hear something tearing to the woods. To my surprise I see a deer running through the bean field and I notice it was a buck, at this time it is only 60 yds away so I stand up and get ready. He is on a dead sprint right for my stand! I try and stop him at 10 yds but he keeps coming and I finally stopped him at around 5yds dead broad side. Now I'm 18ft up so I had an extreme angle so I aimed high and let her fly. He took off and ran into the corn. Waited about an hour and got down and followed blood to the corn. Backed out not wanting to push him. Went back and got a few buddies to help me look. Found no blood on the other side of the corn which was a good sign. Went back to last blood and followed him through the corn. Blood was shooting everywhere, 5ft high in some places. Well he only went about 150 yds and piled up. My buddy almost walked right on him and got the crap scared out of him haha. Didn't even know how big he was until I put my hands on him. Still don't think it has set it. Biggest buck I've ever seen in the woods let alone killed. First one with a bow. Buck has 12 score able points with a 13th coming of the left brow tine with a spread around 17. Thank goodness I had friends with me because this guy weighed at least 200lbs. Everything happened so fast that I didn't even have time to get buck fever. Just like to thank God for giving me the opportunity to be able to hunt and also thank the Armed Forces because without them we would be hunting something else. Sorry for the long read.
Video of the recovery http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkAuZ...&feature=g-upl

Old 11-11-2012, 04:46 PM
Typical Buck

nice buck congrats
Old 11-11-2012, 06:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

That is a great buck!!
Old 11-11-2012, 07:11 PM
Fork Horn

nice buck I love the excitement in the video thats why we do it
Old 11-12-2012, 12:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thats a monster for sure, Way to go, Congrats on your trophy
Old 11-12-2012, 03:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

What a great looking buck! Congrats, and thanks for your service.
Old 11-12-2012, 03:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Awesome story and awesome buck. Great example of how the rut plays out. You just never know and sitting on the couch won't get you a great buck like this. Congratulations!
Old 11-12-2012, 03:10 AM
Fork Horn

Nice buck!!!! Congrats!!
Old 11-12-2012, 06:28 AM
Fork Horn

nice buck congrats
Old 11-15-2012, 08:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

great buck! congrats

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.