Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Fair?

Old 11-06-2012, 07:54 PM
Typical Buck

Actually I think the rules are quite clear and are broke down fairly easy according to zone. There is no reason to not go through the rules and regulations thoroughly and know them. Sorry if I sound harsh and sorry he was arrogant but if you would of looked over and got to know the regulations you would have never seen the guy probably and certainly wouldn't be paying a fine if you did.

"A hunter may harvest no more than four (4) deer in Zone B during the 2012-2013 season.

Only 2 deer may be tagged with Deer Permits(s) ($24) in Zone B.

Only 2 deer may be tagged with Antlerless Deer Permit(s) ($15) in Zone B.

The Antlerless Deer Permit ($15) is not valid in Zone B after November 25 2012."
Old 11-07-2012, 03:05 AM
Fork Horn

This is why i don't like people. Yeah you made a mistake You did it in a manor that actually gave the state more money because you used the $24 tag instead of the $15 tag. You didnt tag a buck with a $15 tag or kill more deer than your allowed. If he has had problems with you before i can understand it but if this is the first time then he should have just explained the rules and told you what you can harvest for the rest of the year and gave you a slap on the wrist. Its people like that, that get a little power and have to piss poeple off. All you can do is what you think is best and learn from your mistake.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds like a mid 20s Robo Cop (Warden) who doesn't have the maturity to make professional decisions yet. There should have been an explanation of the regs as they apply to that specific "zone", and a warning to follow these regs more carefully in the future. jmo
Old 11-07-2012, 05:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow Ohio DNR sucks
Old 11-07-2012, 05:59 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by OhioNovice
Yeah its pretty crappy how they differ the doe tags versus either sex. I normally buy a doe tag and an either sex tag, planning on taking a doe but not wanting to miss out on a giant buck.

They need to be more specific and more clear about thier explanations. What sucks is: if you haven't gotten a deer by Nov 25, then you are only allowed 2 deer instead of 4, because doe tags expire before gun season.

He must have been having a bad day; I cant understand why he would ticket you without you actually taking a deer. A warning and a a better explanation of the law would have been more beneficial.

The only time Ive even seen a wildlife officer was fishing at Hueston woods and he just checked out licenses and didnt even care what we had caught.
antlerless permits do NOT expire they just become restricted to urban zones.

Hunters may take up to 6 antlerless deer within the Urban Deer Units using either an antlerlessdeer permit or either-sex deer permit.

Antlerless deer taken within the Urban Deer Units are tallied independently and will not count towards your deer bag limits in Zones A, B, or C.

The antlerless deer permits are valid in the Urban Units through February 3, 2013. Antlerless deer permits will not be sold after November 25, 2012.

now here is your loophole for a defense. that is straight out of the urban deer hunting section. go look up the zone around cinncy and if you are in the urban zone. which i hope you are. it says you can tag urban deer with either antlerless or either sex permits. it also says they do not count toward you bag limmit. so therfore that means you can buy 6 eithersex permits to kill urban deer and still buy 2 for the regular zone permits.

still possible that you would get an ass of a judge and they say ignorance is no excuse but its the best i can find for ya
Old 11-07-2012, 06:18 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by OhioNovice
Yeah its pretty crappy how they differ the doe tags versus either sex. I normally buy a doe tag and an either sex tag, planning on taking a doe but not wanting to miss out on a giant buck.

They need to be more specific and more clear about thier explanations. What sucks is: if you haven't gotten a deer by Nov 25, then you are only allowed 2 deer instead of 4, because doe tags expire before gun season.

He must have been having a bad day; I cant understand why he would ticket you without you actually taking a deer. A warning and a a better explanation of the law would have been more beneficial.

The only time Ive even seen a wildlife officer was fishing at Hueston woods and he just checked out licenses and didnt even care what we had caught.
The reason he didn't take a deer is because the OP did not take a deer illegally. He was hunting with an invalid tag but did not take a deer. If he had taken a deer with that tag I am sure he would be in even more trouble.

I seriously doubt the OP was in an Urban zone either. The game warden clearly knew beforehand the OP was possibly hunting with an invalid tag, hence he was waiting for him and asked him right from the beginning how many deer he shot. These guys can pull your license plate number and fine out whatever they need to know.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:21 AM
Typical Buck

I was not in the urban zone.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:16 AM
Typical Buck

To top it all off my buddy sends me this photo this morning. He shot it on the same property from my spot, and i would have been in the woods this morning if it weren't for this mess. Haha man i have some bad luck.
Attached Thumbnails Fair?-img950551.jpg  
Old 11-07-2012, 10:19 AM
Typical Buck

Looks like your buddy was happy!
Old 11-07-2012, 10:48 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by dstubb
To top it all off my buddy sends me this photo this morning. He shot it on the same property from my spot, and i would have been in the woods this morning if it weren't for this mess. Haha man i have some bad luck.

wow Go GO Gadget arms! still a nice buck!

I am from just south of the river in the promise land. I have had a lot of contact with ODNR and they are about as sterotypical as it gets. I haven't met one of them that I would consider a nice guy. We have our a**holes down here but for the most part they are pretty cool.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.