HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Lumenok vs. Nockturnal (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/374662-lumenok-vs-nockturnal.html)

KSBOHUNTR 10-31-2012 05:42 AM

Lumenok vs. Nockturnal

I'm considering buying one of these lighted nocks but not sure what to go with. I'm wondering if anyone has used both and how they compare or if anyone used one or the other and just didn't like it. Thanks

sea_bee77 10-31-2012 07:26 AM

Nocturnal's hands down. I started out with the lumanocks but had to many problems. The nocturnals are awesome have never had a problem yet. Turning them off can be a little tricky but once u figure it out its easy. Just has a little hole you need to stick something in to move the switch back. I use the tip on my arrow works good

indiana deer hunter 10-31-2012 10:19 AM

I personally think lumenoks are better they have never given me and problems and are very bright you just twist them and they turn off.

On_Point 10-31-2012 01:02 PM

Just this year I decided to purchase an Illuminated Nock System for just a couple of my arrows. I wanted to read several hundred reviews & actually test some of the products before I purchased the right one. Being an informed consumer is the only way to shop in todays flooded market of poorly manufactured products. And with that being said, I found that over half of the product reviews for every manufacturer of Illuminated Nock are very, very poor. Between Lumenok & Nockturnal, the latter had far less negative reviews, but was still considered to be very poor. And though Lumenok & Nockturnal are both very popular brands & have better reviews than Easton, LighteningNock & G5. They both have far more bad reviews than FireNock or ArchersFlame.

I came to the conclusion after extensive research that there is not a decent Illuminated Nock System on the market. Every major manufacturer has problems with their nocks performing consistently & for the prices they're charging for their products, performance & consistency should not be a problem.

And did you know, P&Y will not give recognition to any animal taken using electronic or battery-powered devices on ones equipment. Meaning, if you take a World Class Whitetail using an Illuminated Nock or an Illuminated Sight, you are exempt from entering said deer into the record books. So unless you're strictly hunting does or smaller bucks, you run the risk of disqualifying your deer from P&Y records.

Before you spend the money on an Illuminated Nock, check your wishlist to see if there's not something else you might want to spend your money on. But if youre dead set on owning a lighted nock, look into purchasing a FireNock or an ArchersFlame.

Happy hunting!

07superglide 10-31-2012 03:11 PM

Wow!! You could just say don't waste your money!!

Just messing with you onpoint!

I have used the luemnok, and I had no problems! However in addition to what on point says
Unless you are useing them for fun.... They serve no purpose, yes they look good on film!! But.....

I'm just saying

BrushyHillGuide 10-31-2012 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by 07superglide (Post 3998456)
Wow!! You could just say don't waste your money!!

Just messing with you onpoint!

I have used the luemnok, and I had no problems! However in addition to what on point says
Unless you are useing them for fun.... They serve no purpose, yes they look good on film!! But.....

I'm just saying

I have to disagree about them not serving a purpose. Illuminated knocks make it much easier to identify the point of impact at the time of the shot; which makes it easier to determine how fast to safely get out and look for the game animal. They also make it easier to find your arrow after a miss- especially in thick cover. AND, they can make a late hour hit easier to follow (if you dont get a pass through) so that you have a better idea where to start looking for blood.

I use them on every arrow I hunt with and I really prefer my clients use them - for the reasons I stated. I use the Nockturnals. I used Lumenoks for years, made my own and used Easton Tracers under an Easton sponsorship. To me, the Nockturnals have better quality control and have never had a bad one out of the package (like Lumenocks) and I like the manual on-off. I also like my nock to fit tight and be fully seated instead of being almost seated like the Lumenocks require.

They're not a necessity, they're an extravagance. They will disqualify you from P&Y, if you care about being in the "club" but they're durn useful if you hunt for yourself and a gross score, instead of some ridiculous "net" score that only rewards symmetry and disregards the beauty of individual bucks.

NebBuckHunter 10-31-2012 09:22 PM

I use nockturnals. My buddy uses illuminocks. He complains about his. I've never had a problem. Six of one, half a dozen of another I suppose.

Believe me, if I arrow a P&Y,.....I'm switching out the nock....

hatchet jack 11-01-2012 12:10 PM

NT's have my vote!

Hatchet Jack

SecondChance 11-03-2012 04:28 PM

I use them both and so far neither the deer or coyotes have told me one they like over the other!!!!!!!

5 shot 11-05-2012 01:10 AM

nockturnals for me. I have tried several types over the years. the nockturnals most
consistent and easy to use. They stay lit a long time as well. Opening day they saved me a lot of trouble. I missed a decent 8 point and the nockturnal allowed me to see clearly it was a miss. Later I shot a doe and the arrow stayed in her. No blood to speak of and my eyes are not that good at dusk anyways. I walked where she went and did a loop back to my stand. It was pitch dark and from about 100 yards away I saw the nock glowing and found my deer. a few days later I shot another doe and the nockturnal allowed me to see the hit clearly. two weeks later I went back to the stand I killed the first deer, after the evening hunt I went to look for the arrow I shot at the 8, and low and behold It was glowing under the leafs. I am sure it didn't stay lit the entire time, but it seemed to "turn on" at dark and shut off in the day. Probably due to the temp change. I am not sure about that but in any case I found my arrow. This is my first year using them on all my arrows full time and I am now sold on there usefulness.