HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Stand height (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/374580-stand-height.html)

snedd162 10-29-2012 03:38 PM

Stand height

How high do you generally hang your stands? I hunt typically out of a ladder stand so height is really determined for me. But just out of curiosity if you could choose, what height is ideal for you?

I only ask after being busted by a doe this weekend and bc the wind was in my favor i'm assuming she saw my movement. Wish I was higher up

HoosierHunter79 10-29-2012 03:45 PM

I prefer to be about 20 feet up, you can get away with much more movement

elmoughler 10-29-2012 04:53 PM

I hunt all ladder stands so I'm around 15 ft. Wouldn't mind being higher though

NebBuckHunter 10-29-2012 05:41 PM

I was curious this weekend. I used my range finder looking straight down from my stand while standing. The tree I'm in is right on the edge of a raine. Bottom of the ravine was at 12 yards. The top was at 9 yards.

Translated to feet I was between 36-27 feet up. Minus about five feet (standing, range finder looking down- I'm about 6 foot.) I'm anywhere from 31-22 feet up at the base of my stand.

My other stand was set at 8 yards up. X3-5 = about 19 feet.

I was curious myself this weekend....

supaflav 10-29-2012 07:12 PM

20-25 ft most all the time.

sconnyhunter 10-29-2012 07:15 PM

I;m usually about 12' up.
I don't really like to be too much higher than that, for personal reasons.

indiana deer hunter 10-29-2012 08:00 PM

With bow in my climber i climb 25 ft , with gun I hunt out of ladder stands from 14 to 17 mostly

On_Point 10-29-2012 09:41 PM

I use a climber stand 90% of the time & Ive found that I have a tendency to believe I'm a lot higher than I really am. In some trees I have a good idea of how high I can climb by limbs or a low canopy stopping my assent, but in trees that I can literally climb 50' or higher I still don't climb very high. Rarely do I even climb to the points that would stop me, though while on the ground don't seem that high.

Recently I went hunting with my Dad & was showing him how to use my Summit. I climbed to what I perceived to be 20' or so & stopped. I told him he shouldn't go much higher, thinking I was higher than what he would even consider climbing. He asked me how high I thought I was & I replied, 20' or so. He laughed & told me I wasn't more than 12 or 15' off the ground. I said he was crazy, so he hit me with his range finder & I was at 14'. Then, like any good father would, he dared me to climb to 20', which I did, but I wasn't happy about it.

Since then Ive been going higher with my climber & letting my 20' tow line stop my assent, instead of my height perception.

Anyone else have that problem?

07superglide 10-30-2012 01:04 AM

Yep... I do the same thing! Last year I started climbing till my bow came off the ground.
It Is about 20'. I just hate being caught off guard while I climb!! I had to watch a buck pass by me Saturday!

Doughboy2 10-30-2012 05:19 AM

I use a climber as well, and I get approx. 17-18' off of the ground. I too use my bow rope to tell me how high I am off of the ground. It really comes down to how much cover do you have at any particular height.