HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Be careful out there. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/374166-careful-out-there.html)

medic242 10-21-2012 04:58 AM

Be careful out there.

OK a little background before I get to the real story. I teach part time at a local community college. I teach part of the EMS program. A couple weeks ago a young lady in my class asked me if I ware a fall harness when I deer hunt. And I said well I......I hunt......well......No. So we all know that we should. She proceeded to tell me about her friend that fell the night before. He laid on the ground for a little over a hour before he was conscious enough to call for help. He was airlifted to the hospital where they believed that he had a severed spinal cord. He's a young man with a new baby boy and a young wife. He is also a park ranger in the area. I ask that he and his family be in your prayers. I do not know him personally but I put that harness on if I'm off the ground now. And ask that we all do the same. I know that we all here this type of story every year but lets start showing our young hunters that going home at the end of a trip is more important than a trophy.

croc2116 10-21-2012 06:15 AM

I second that.

chazspot 10-21-2012 06:29 AM

Park Rangers, EMS staff not wearing a harness. I'm baffled over this. Kudos to you for your honesty.

Their really needs to be more awareness about wearing safety harnesses while in a tree stand. Getting in a tree stand without one is no less risky behavior than drinking and driving. People don't only impact themselves, but their loved ones as well.

NebBuckHunter 10-21-2012 07:02 AM

I'm too scared not to wear one....

VA5326 10-21-2012 10:45 AM

That's sad to hear. Prayers out for that family. I always wear one. I put it my signature line last year....It's that important to me. People that don't wear them think it will never happen to them.

SecondChance 10-21-2012 04:30 PM

I am working in my Hunter Safety Education Certification here in Il and we teach the Safety Harness portion quite thourghly. I as well teach through the training at my job to use a Prassic Knot to keep your self tied in ground to stand and then back to ground.
The only time you are not tied in is when you exchange over from one line to the other at the stand itself and then back, for only a microsecond. Saved me 3 years ago. I was only about 10 feet up but my boot slipped off the screw in step, (Muddy) and I fell. The knot stopped me as it is supposed to do.
Me and my family will keep this gentleman and his family in our prayers.

jessioward 10-22-2012 12:02 AM

I'm baffled over this. Kudos to you for your honesty.

BrookieRookie 10-22-2012 08:05 AM

Not just for the safety factor, I also put mine on because I'm scared of heights. If my stand is any higher than 14 or 15 feet, I can't stand up without getting the "wobblies", so that harness makes me feel better. I've been hunting out of trees for 17 years, and I don't think I've EVER been in a stand for longer then 60 seconds without putting on a strap or harness.

*twodogs* 10-22-2012 11:50 AM

I use it for safety 100% of the time but the harness also aides you in leaning out and around that obstruction you never expected when that deer shows up in the unlikely spot.

07superglide 10-22-2012 02:51 PM

I just heard on my way home that a 40something man,
Fell out of his stand Sunday and wasn't found for four hours
Last I heard he's in stable condition. Lets all be safe out there!
I work for a phone company and I even need to wear one!