HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Why do YOU bow hunt? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/374130-why-do-you-bow-hunt.html)

JasonR686 10-19-2012 07:41 PM

Why do YOU bow hunt?

I'm relatively new to Bowhunting (although I've shot compound bows for a couple of years). I'm curious as to why you choose to bow hunt over hunting with a gun? Longer bow season? More sporting? More fun? More enjoyable?

I'd love to hear what you guys have to say.

indiana deer hunter 10-19-2012 09:20 PM

I also gun hunt. I LOVE bow hunting!. I choose to bow hunt because it gets you in the woods earlier in the year, you get to see the forest change,the animals you see. The love of bow hunting also stems from the challenge me vs them. I love taking game ecspecialy deer via bow because unlike gun hunting when an animal is maybe 50 or 70 yards your probably going to be able to take the animal you want. When you have a bow in hand and you see your target animal the hunt has just began. There is an unexplainable feeling of accomplishment for me when I kill a deer with a bow also its just so satisfying. Deer are kind of a mythical beast and I love hunting them its still amazing how they just appear. I also like being able to see the arrow fly and contact the animal. My family also likes the meat and its a great chance to enter the woods and have way less pressured deer in the early archery season. Last but not least there are no cars,radios,screaming neighbors,complaining wifes or bosses its just you and the outdoors and gods great creatures.

PREDATE 10-19-2012 09:39 PM

Because everyone says it's cool and because Larry Potterfield said,"that's the way it is"!Lol

I gun hunt, bowhunt, trap, fish, etc.
Anytime I can get out in the wild I do. It's MYtime.

Seif5034 10-20-2012 10:39 AM

I gun hunt as well. I love bowhunting because to me everything about it feels more natural. It's quiet, stealthy, and takes a certain skill set that not any joe off the street can be successful at it.

halfbakedi420 10-20-2012 12:29 PM

it's hard to aim a rifle at a deer that's 20 feet in front of you when there is a scope on it. with the bow, ya dont have to worry about those problems.

SnakeEater 10-20-2012 12:57 PM

Katniss Everdeen, she's why. J/k. It's too easy to tag an animal with a gun, especially with a scope. Bow hunting gives you a longer season and it's more challenging. I've been shooting rifle for quite some years thanks to uncle sam and my current job; it's helped me a lot with shooting a bow, but trying to get an animal within bow distance is tough. I'm fairly new to the bow, but now it seems like hogs are the only things I'll be taking with ma trusty ol remington.

Phil from Maine 10-20-2012 01:41 PM

I too enjoy some gun hunting as well. But, when it comes to bowhunting.. To me there is nothing that can compare with hearing the arrow hit it's mark! It is great to know that you can be stealthy enough to be capable to walk up with in close range on a deer and be able to take it home with ya. At least it used to be that way here. Now with a high winter kill and predators and the like it is not nearly the same. But it is the challenge of the hunt that I enjoy about bowhunting. Here we can only shoot a buck whether with a gun or a bow. I have seen several does this year so far. Hopefully a buck will show itself before long.

Also around our cities it is archery hunting only. The expanded archey zones allow us to shoot as many does as we want to. That is at $12 a tag for does as the cities are having problems with them. It is just hard to find a decent place to hunt there.
Good Luck with the bow hunting all..

mladdict 10-20-2012 03:47 PM

I like shooting bows and if I have one I might as well hunt with it.

golfpro261 10-20-2012 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420 (Post 3993241)
it's hard to aim a rifle at a deer that's 20 feet in front of you when there is a scope on it. With the bow, ya dont have to worry about those problems.

so true!!!

*twodogs* 10-22-2012 10:14 AM

I gun hunt but prefer bow hunting as it is more of a challenge. I enjoy the close encounters you get bow hunting, plus it's not as cold during early bow season, the deer are more relaxed and there is much less pressure during bow season. But the best thing about bow hunting is the RUSH you get when you let that arrow fly and it hits it mark, that excitement is nothing like pulling the trigger of a gun.