HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   How far do you go with scent (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/374020-how-far-do-you-go-scent.html)

Bowhunter527 10-18-2012 05:49 AM

How far do you go with scent

This is my second year bow hunting. I hear the biggest thing is scent. All I do is keep my camo bibs jacket hat boots and gloves in a bag full of leaves. Then I put my bibs and jacket on over whatever clothes I'm wearing. I'm wondering if they can smell the scent of my clothes under my bibs and jacket. Should I put pants and shirts and everything in the bag of leaves too or do you think it's good what I've been doing?

Nebraskadeerkilln 10-18-2012 06:21 AM

Your on the right path. Instead of leaves i would recomend pine cones or a small pine branch with needles. Or those earth scented waffer things. Other than that hunt down wind.

Doughboy2 10-18-2012 06:38 AM

I keep all of my clothes in a scent free bag....I always spray down with scent away spray, and then use the fresh earth scent wafers....IMO, scent is the biggest factor when it comes to deer spooking or not.

TheMASTERBlaster 10-18-2012 06:46 AM

You can buy scent killer laundry detergent to wash your clothes in and its not very exspensive. I also use scent killer spray to spray down with right when I get out of my vehicle and am ready to head to the bowstand. They may beable to smell your clothes underneath your bibs and jacket it depends on how thick your bibs are and how well they breathe. But if you wash your clothes in scent killer before the hunt you should have nothing to worry about.

mackesr 10-18-2012 07:40 AM

I wash my clothes in scent free detergent then place them outside to dry. Once dry I put in scent free container. The evening before I hunt I put my clothes out under my overhang front porch to "air out". I change into my clothes that morning and go directly to my lease to hunt. I spray down with scent killer just before I walk to my stand. So far after years of bow hunting I have only been busted once and I have had deer come in behind me with the wind blowing right in their face and did not smell me. I am always up in a stand and am sure that helps the most as the wind blows over them. Still, I know that deer can smell really well and I may be more lucky in that regard than anything else.

Bowhunter527 10-18-2012 08:12 AM

Sounds to me I need to put my jeans and all the shirts I'm going to wear in the bag with the other stuff. Better safe than sorry

marshall9779 10-18-2012 12:26 PM

I shower with scent killer soap, wash clothes with scent killer detergent including a bath towel, put clothes into a plastic tub with scent wafers, spray down as I'm putting on clothes, keep boots in bags in the garage and they never get worn in the house or car.

early in 10-18-2012 01:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I may catch some heat (which is fine) for this post, but my track record backs me up. I don't do anything or use anything to mask my scent, in fact I smoke on a fairly regular basis while hunting. BUT, I hunt no less than 20ft and often 25ft-30ft up! More important is the fact that I pay close attention to wind direction. With this combination I very RARELY get busted.

These heights aren't for everyone, but since I climb trees for a living it's not an issue for me. Also, at these heights you can get away with much more movement than if you were at say 15ft, which is still (believe it or not) within a deer's peripheral vision. Hunt high my friends. lol

elmoughler 10-18-2012 02:16 PM

I don't do much to mask my scent, and haven't had any problems. My deer I got last year I was in my buddies vehicle while he was smoking, he smoked all the way to the stand and we both saw and harvested deer that day. If you play the wind you should be ok.

As far as climing a tree as high as early in, well he is just damn nuts!! IMO

RidgeFACTOR 10-18-2012 03:28 PM

I wash my clothes in cold water, with a scent free detergent. I then air dry them on the back porch overnight. Then I put all my hunting clothes, fanny pack etc. in a large plastic bag. I then add anywhere from (3-9) Earth Scent Wafers inside the plastic bag. Have always had great success with the deer not smelling or detecting me while hunting from my stand and/or walking to my favorite spot. Good Luck.