Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
bowhunting in the rain? >

bowhunting in the rain?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

bowhunting in the rain?

Old 10-17-2012, 05:57 PM
Spike

So what do you all think about the suggestion above to get on the ground and move around if its raining? Ive never still-hunted with a bow before, rain or shine. Based on most peoples comments Im definitely gonna get out there. I have the option of sitting in my stand 14 feet up, sitting in a natural blind (huge pine blowdown) which is like 20 yards from my tree stand, or still hunting with bow in hand (which im 90% sure im not gonna do). What would you do in a light to moderate rain?
Old 10-17-2012, 06:41 PM
Fork Horn

Relax....Shooting a deer in the neck is not for everyone. Actually, years ago maybe 10, I accidently shot one in the neck "with an arrow" as I released and it was turning. You could almost say it was dead before it hit the ground. This made me think, this buck I just shot never felt a thing. How many deer have I killed aiming at the vitals that suffered 10, 15, 30, 60 mins before it expired. Quit a few I'm sure. From that point I decided if I could make a shot like this, why would I ever want to see or know another deer suffered. True the vitals is the prefered shot placement! But it rarely ever garuantee's instant death to the animal. Certain death ya. For me, I consider myself an excellent shooter " don't like to bragg" who compete's regularly and shoots 3-4 days a week all year. Like I said, "if you can" and you know if you can or not.

Listen, I have shot plenty of deer in my life time so I don't need or have to shoot every deer I would like to take. If I don't get the shot "I prefer" to take, it's not the end of the world if that big eight pointer walks away. Really isn't! There will always be another one sooner or later.

Maybe I foregot where I actually was when I said it...my bad!
Old 10-17-2012, 08:22 PM
Spike

but i would say that i havent seen any deer while it rains so its better to have their hunting when climate is dry and it will be more appropiate to chase them down
Old 10-19-2012, 07:28 PM
Spike

If it's your first time out, I wouldn't go in the rain. Less to frustrate you, in my opinion.
Old 10-20-2012, 06:18 PM
Spike

would most definately hunt in rain
cover your stand/umbrella or something of the sorts
they are still mowing in lessthan best conditions
odds will be way better than on the recliner!
good luck