Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
bowhunting in the rain? >

bowhunting in the rain?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

bowhunting in the rain?

Old 10-17-2012, 12:06 PM
Spike

Default bowhunting in the rain?

I have a small window of opportunity to get out this weekend for only a few hours. However its supposed to rain during that time. During this time of the year (pre-rut), is it worth it to be out there getting soaked in the tree stand, or do the deer still move a lot when its raining? Later on in the season if I were on the ground still-hunting with a gun I never hesitate to go out in the rain. But with the bow from a tree stand, are the deer just gonna lay down once it starts raining? How much do deer move in the rain?
Old 10-17-2012, 01:10 PM
Typical Buck

I've harvested deer in the rain before. As long as its not a downpour they will usually still move. However the rain does hinder tracking a little bit.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

waste of time imo...right after the rain stops is another story.
gettin yer bow clothes all wet just means more laundry to do. maybe a black shirt and some blue jeans inside a ground blind/tent. dont think i have ever seen a deer while it was raining. drizzling yes..but pouring from the sky, never.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:39 PM
Fork Horn

Sitting in a tree stand...are you nuts???? Get those Frogg Toggs out, stay on the ground and go after them man!!

They won't bit you! Tree stand...huh!
Old 10-17-2012, 01:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

My concern would be tracking a bow shot deer in the rain...

I have killed plenty in the rain while gun hunting, even in a downpour.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:48 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by nchawkeye
My concern would be tracking a bow shot deer in the rain...

I have killed plenty in the rain while gun hunting, even in a downpour.
Don't worry....they bleed and die just the same when you hit'em with an arrow. If you can...shoot'em in the neck. They'll drop like a stone, trust me!
Old 10-17-2012, 02:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 7MMXBOLT
Don't worry....they bleed and die just the same when you hit'em with an arrow. If you can...shoot'em in the neck. They'll drop like a stone, trust me!
http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&s...9,r:5,s:0,i:87

http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&s...9,r:8,s:0,i:96

like these guys died?
Old 10-17-2012, 02:15 PM
Fork Horn

I said...IF YOU CAN. Apparently the hunter who shot these deer should stick to what they know! And those were target arrows so what's your point?

Look at my avitar...see the red spot? Enough said!

Last edited by 7MMXBOLT; 10-17-2012 at 02:19 PM.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you're telling him to aim for the neck of a deer with a bow, you're giving BAD advise! There's waaaay too much room for error. The heart/lung region is the preferred aiming spot in any conditions.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:55 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by 7MMXBOLT
Really? I mean REALLY??! I dont want to start a debate, nor attempt to demean your intelligence, but REALLY??! I see you harvested the deer in your photo with a rifle, apparently YOU need to "stick with what YOU know".

To the post, I have gotten a couple of my biggest Bucks by sitting in the rain, downpour(?), no, I will agree with the comment on losing the trail in the rain when its to heavy, to much risk. But sitting out on a misty day, I would go every time. One cant kill anything from the couch!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.