Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Second Doe This Season, Second Hunt on Film >

Second Doe This Season, Second Hunt on Film

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Second Doe This Season, Second Hunt on Film

Old 10-16-2012, 05:58 AM
Typical Buck

Default Second Doe This Season, Second Hunt on Film

I shot this doe and this video on October 12, 2012. I just got started filming my own hunts and am really enjoying it. Right now I'm using a really basic setup for filming, a little $40 action camera from Midland screwed to the tree next to me (that's the first camera in the video) and a JVC Everio HD camcorder mounted to my bow. I just ordered a bow-mount stabilizer to help get rid of some of the shake on the video at the shot.

Please take a look at the video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25OnVkXImHg&feature=plcp) and let me know what you think.

If any of you film your own hunts and have any tips or tricks, I'm all ears. I'm not looking to make a career out of becoming a TV hunting personality, but I would like to get a good amount of quality hunting videos on my YouTube channel to share with my friends and the hunting world. I think with a little more filler-type video (getting ready, panning shots of the hunting area, more recap after the recovery) I could easily put together a 15-20 minute video each time. Just not sure most people would take the time to watch something that long.

Any and all feedback is appreciated!
Old 10-16-2012, 06:58 AM
Fork Horn

that was very nice!
Old 10-16-2012, 07:53 AM
Spike

looked good to me! I got a good laugh out of the throat clearing doe call lol
Old 10-16-2012, 01:32 PM
Typical Buck

A little more background on the hunt, since I've got some time to kill at work. The first part of the video you can see me turning back and forth. I could hear the deer coming from behind me crunching through the leaves, but couldn't tell which side of me they were going to pop out on. If they came to my right, I needed to stand before I could shoot, so I wanted to be ready. They finally came out directly downwind of me, but didn't seem too bothered. The one I shot eventually walked in the exact spot as the first doe I shot this season from that same stand. When I cleared my throat, I was actually trying to let out a little bleat, but it came out as more of a cough/grunt/bleat. Either way, it worked. When I shot, she took off running but the other two stuck around. After I heard the first one crash and saw the other two still standing there, I nocked another arrow and got ready. I eventually drew back again when the one doe was behind the trees, but after seeing the video a few more times I noticed she wouldn't cross the blood trail of the first deer. I thought that was kind of interesting. It took me a while to find the arrow, as I assumed it passed right through and was somewhere on the ground behind her. I finally retraced the blood trail one last time and found the arrow laying about 15 yards from where she finally fell. As I watched the video after finding the arrow, I can clearly see the arrow laying in the left side of the field of view for a few seconds when I stop to look at the tree with the blood on it. That recovery was not staged at all; she fell in a depression and I couldn't see her until I was practically on top of her.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:47 PM
Typical Buck

Schobs, thanks for taking the time to share your experience. I really like amateur hunting videos & the longer the video, the more I enjoy it. Self filming is fairly difficult to say the least, but you're well on your way to making some great videos. My advice is to stop using your Everio mounted to the bow. Maybe use the Midland on the bow as an alternative angle, but use your primary camera on a tree mounted camera arm. Though you wont have the same camera control, such as zooming in for the tight shot upon release, you also wont have the unsteady, shaky camera problems. Also, when you're addressing the camera while having the camera mounted to the bow, its a little to up close & personal. With the tree mounted arm, you can swing it out away from yourself & your audience isn't forced to count nose hairs. lol

For the audio, you should look into investing in a decent lapel mic. It will make a world of difference in the entire production.

As for filming the filler, try mounting your camera to a light weight aluminum tripod that you can carry while you walk & talk. You can also use the tripod to film yourself climbing into stand & then hoisting it up same as your bow. Then also use it for post harvest interviews.

If you're serious about filming, start talking to folks about filming their hunts. You'd be surprised to see who's willing to be filmed. And before ya know it you've got a team that can take turns filming hunts, contribute to editing footage & putting together some really good videos.

Good luck to ya & keep us posted.