HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Broadheads (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/373845-broadheads.html)

chazspot 10-14-2012 04:04 AM

Broadheads

I've been using Shuttle -T's for a few years now, and I like their accuracy a lot. However, they don't seem to do a lot of damage.

I realize it's the indian and not the bow, but I want to put the odds in my favor as much as possible. I hate losing deer and I've had a couple get a way from me. I think in these situations it could have turned out different if the broadhead caused a much deeper wound.

Any suggestions on a broadhead that is known for successfully putting a nice gaping hole on the deer without sacrificing accuracy and needing significant tuning?

Thanks

huntingkidPA 10-14-2012 04:21 AM

anything thats shaped like a field point. First that comes to mind is rage 2 blade. I only suggest this if your shooting about 60 lbs or up. Please don't think with a big cutting diameter you don't have to practice as much or you will drop a deer with in 30 yards with a gut shot. It doesn't really work that way. Shot placement is huge with bowhunting.

chazspot 10-14-2012 12:48 PM

Thanks. I realize shot placement is highly significant in bow-hunting. I do practice.

I want a broadhead that provides gaping holes and fast blood loss. I dont get that out of Shuttle T's.

sdhunter11 10-14-2012 02:25 PM

I have shot the muzzy 3-blade 100gr for years and havent had a problem finding the deer that i hit right. Shot a doe a couple of weeks ago. Double lung, easy blood trail but didnt need it since she only made it 20 yards. Made a bad shot on a buck last week, 25 yards, arrow went through the shoulder and out the front of the brisket, never hit the vitals, followed blood for about a mile, lost the blood and the deer, broadhead did what it was suppose to but i didnt.

foxfire66 10-14-2012 02:48 PM

Grim reapers. Try them!!!

SecondChance 10-14-2012 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by foxfire66 (Post 3990738)
Grim reapers. Try them!!!

100% agree!!!!!!!! 100grn RazorCut.

halfbakedi420 10-14-2012 04:36 PM

3 sided fixed blade..why chance mechanics? de'ja'vu

supaflav 10-14-2012 06:34 PM

Slick Trick / Grizz Trick. 4 blade, flies like a field point, sharpest blades on the market, no worries about blades deploying.

The Outdoorsman 10-15-2012 10:30 AM

Rocket Hammerheads. 100gr. Most damage I've ever done with a broadhead. Though it was pointed out, the most critical part of this, arrow placement, dont put the arrow where it needs to be, broadhead wont matter.

chazspot 10-15-2012 12:16 PM

Ok, so here is a scenario to discuss. I had a doe come by me last Saturday. She was up on a ridge and almost at eye level with me on the stand. I was about 12 yards off the trail. She comes down the trail and her front half is a behind a tree. Perfect time for me to get ready to shoot. I already had my bow off the hook and in hand but haven't drawn back yet. She was standing still and I was watching her back legs waiting for movement so I could draw back and be ready to aim and fire.

She proceeds past the tree and this is where I normally give a stop call and get them to stop so i can aim at my desired location. Except, right at that second I felt if I let out a call to stop her she would have looked right at me and bolted. I didn't want to risk it and never stopped her. I aimed and let the arrow fly while she was moving. Clean pass thru. She never knew what hit her.

She goes about another ten yards and lays down behind a tree. I am almost celebrating at this point, but peeking around the tree to see exactly what she is doing. Her eyes are still open, so I am not entirely sure she is near death or what. I didn't know at that point I didn't catch the vitals.

She goes about another ten yards and hunches over a couple times and lays down again. Eyes still open. That's when I realize I must have gut shot her. So I wait it out another couple hours and by this time she has walked out of sight albeit looking really hurt.

I go back to my truck which is about a 3/4 mile hike. Change out of my hunting clothes and go back. Of course she is nowhere to be found and very little blood to go by.

My partner and I scan the area, nothing. I'm wondering if I should have gotten after her sooner and pushed her? Also, I wonder if a better broadhead (better meaning causing a bigger hole) would have altered the situation more in my favor?