Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Missed shot?

Old 10-14-2012, 02:20 AM
Fork Horn

nope, wait a few days and go back...
Old 10-15-2012, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

get back in there a bust it.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:58 AM
Fork Horn

nope it wont be ruined. just do what you did the first time. put your time and effort into the hunt. hell, that same deer will more than likely come back. You did your part by practicing. You already got the hardest part of hunting done and thats locating the deer. Now the easy part comes in. Make sure your comfortable with the shot. Pick a specific spot on the deer. Take a deep breath, and make the shot.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:55 PM
Fork Horn

We all miss buddy
Old 10-16-2012, 06:35 PM
Fork Horn

Chalk up this miss as a learning experience. Always keep practicing your fundamentals.

The important thing to learn is recognize WHAT caused you to miss the shot? If you can answer that, you will continue to get better. (wrong pin?, wrong distance?, wrong anchor point?, string hit forearm/clothes?, etc.)

I've been bow hunting since 1986, and I still go thru my mental checklist whenever I draw back on a deer.

It took me over 10 years before I got my first deer with a bow, talk about a long wait! But then something clicked and in the last 12 years I've harvest nearly 20 deer. My point? don't get frustrated, you've just begun into your hunting career ... it takes time, but it will be so rewarding in the end! Good luck

Last edited by Dampland; 10-16-2012 at 06:37 PM.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:25 PM
Typical Buck

You'll find that deer seasons are fraught with screw-ups. Mostly due to our lack of attention to detail. Sometimes its just mother nature that throws us a curve. But its going to happen, year after year after year, count on it. Its part of hunting. So you've got one of yours out of the way for this year. But remember, its life, $h1t happens. The thing to remember, the key to it all is, Preparation+Opportunity=Success.

Enjoy the hunt!