Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Bowhunting Windy Days >

Bowhunting Windy Days

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowhunting Windy Days

Old 10-13-2012, 03:51 AM
Spike

Default Bowhunting Windy Days

What do you guys do when its really windy out like 15mph+? What type of stand should I set up for this situation. Latly its been really windy and I just want to go out but everytime I have gone out and its windy I see no deer. I must have wrong stand locations.

Thanks
Old 10-13-2012, 06:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Try to hunt the thickest areas you can when it's windy. Deer will move when it's windy, they have to eat. They are just more on edge.
Old 10-13-2012, 06:32 AM
Typical Buck

Yesterday was windy here. I used that time to scout a new area. I still hunted. I got to within 50Yds, of a spike and doe.
The wind was swirling pretty bad so I didnt stand hunt.
Early In's comment was right on!
Old 10-14-2012, 05:13 AM
Fork Horn

Learn how to spot & stalk! Windy days I always hunt on the ground and have taken more deer that way than I ever have in a tree stand. Deer typically move less on windy days because the have a harder time hearing the preditor and have to rely more on smell and vision.

Tree stand / blind hunting is for when it is too quite in the woods IMHO!
Old 10-14-2012, 08:25 AM
Typical Buck

Windy days are my favorite, but you have to understand my terrain as well, Rolling plains with brush filled draws, It is windy here more than it is calm. But the wind kinda forces the deer to stick to the cover in the draws as they travel. I usually sit on the ground in heavy cover along a travel route on these types of days.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:38 PM
Typical Buck

The biggest bucks I've seen were on windy days. The biggest buck I've taken was also on a day with 20mph+ wind. I've taken several doe at close range stalking on windy days.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Did not get in the blind last night due to the wind,lost the chance to drop another Doe at 12 yards. Would not have been in a tree though thats for sure. They do move and they are vulnerable as has been stated their senses are limited in high wind situations.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sneaking through standing corn can work great on windy days.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:54 AM
Fork Horn

Windy days can be a good time to scount and hunt at the same time....some of the bigger bucks I have killed have come after finding good sign on windy days...
Old 10-19-2012, 07:34 PM
Spike

If you're stalking, I'd recommend you doing whatever you can to hide your scent. I would imagine the wind would help you there.