Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

lung shot

Old 10-12-2012, 01:32 PM
Spike

Default lung shot

Shot a doe this morning with the 3 blade rage at 10 yds. Hit lungs and she ran about 100yds in the alfalfa field and went down. Luckily I saw her go down cause I would of had hard time tracking cuz there were only a few specks of blood. when I got to her she was bleed out pretty good. Is this common for lung shots?
Old 10-12-2012, 01:42 PM
Spike

....weird stuff happens sometimes when bowhunting.. I bet what happened was like what happens when you gut shoot a deer.. a piece of gut or fat lung etc blocked the hole and caused massive amounts of blood in the cavity but not allowing it to escape the body...happened to me a few times...lucky theyve all fell down in view
Old 10-12-2012, 03:36 PM
Banned

there was probably more blood than you seen as she ran. blood has a way of falling deep in to the grass and alalfa so it seems they dont bleed much. also if it was a high lung there would naturally be less blood dropped.
Old 10-13-2012, 02:37 PM
Fork Horn

Those things happen sometimes.

A few years ago, I shot a nice doe with a Muzzy MX-4. The deer went face first into the ground, got up, ran a bit, went face first again, and ran away through the woods on her face. I sat there dumbfounded, knowing, or at least thinking, that the shot had looked good. I walked the trail parallel to where she ran, then cut over and found a little blood. Long story short, I found her, she had run over 100 yards, with a perfect broadside double lung hit. After looking her over, I found that my arrow had just clipped the tendon on the back of the front leg going in, and had clipped the one on the other side going out. That is why she kept falling. I can only deduce that from her running, chest on the ground, that the collapsed legs had come up and covered the entrance and exit wounds, and held in the blood and air from escaping.

Sounds weird, probably a one-in-a-million chance, but anything can happen.

Glad to see that unlike most, you didn't blame the broadhead.

TB
Old 10-16-2012, 06:43 PM
Fork Horn

Blood trails can be weird/tricky or even non-existent.

I killed a buck in 2009 ... double lung shot ... the buck ran 30 yards and fell right over in front of me. Not one drop of blood until he fell and it was a complete pass thru ...... that is why it is so important to watch your deer after the shot (that is NOT the time to do your victory dance for the camera like the idiots on the hunting shows) Watching the deer after the shot will help you recover more deer.

Congrats on getting your deer!
Old 10-17-2012, 02:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Had one last week like that. I saw the hit go right where I wanted it to, heard the deer crash, heard it gurgling blood, still took me an hour to find it. No blood for the first 40 yards and then the last 35 looked like a crime scene. It was a double lung hit with a well made large cut head just no blood at first.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Each hit produces it seems a different type of blood trail,even if the same organs are hit. I got the left lung and took out the liver of my first Doe this year. She took off like a rocket,hit a barbed wire fence bounced off it,then jumped it,then fell to the ground,then got up and went another 30 yards.When I gutted her she had blood pooled up inside her and her liver was like jello and had 2 ribbs cut clean through. They are simply determined to live and get to their safe place while running dead on the hoof. Amazing animals.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Dampland
Blood trails can be weird/tricky or even non-existent.

I killed a buck in 2009 ... double lung shot ... the buck ran 30 yards and fell right over in front of me. Not one drop of blood until he fell and it was a complete pass thru ...... that is why it is so important to watch your deer after the shot (that is NOT the time to do your victory dance for the camera like the idiots on the hunting shows) Watching the deer after the shot will help you recover more deer.

Congrats on getting your deer!
This is some of the best advise you could possibly give!
Old 10-18-2012, 04:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

What excites me is a quick clean kill and knowing I got a deer to take home and process.That is success but It does not make me want to and shout and dance,but give thanks for the provision of meat. Just my way of viewing the hunt..
Old 10-18-2012, 05:19 AM
Fork Horn

First deer i ever shot was a buck with my rifle. Double lunged right in the center. I went over to where it was standing. Only a couple specks of blood the size of a pencil eraser. Sometimes the deer bleed inside.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.