HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   arrow awareness.. please read (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/373697-arrow-awareness-please-read.html)

WNYhunter 10-09-2012 07:02 PM

arrow awareness.. please read

1 Attachment(s)
My sons buddy was practicing 3 days before the opener when this happened. I have seen pics like this before infact uncle matt on here has one as his signature pic. Anyways, as this kid released his arrow it exploded and the back remaining shaft went into his had. Now, because it is a carbon arrow they just cant pull it out because they splinter so bad. They had to do surgery and open up this kids whole hand to get every thing out. He was lucky in the sence that the arrow didnt do any nerve damage or broke any bones.

Please check your carbon arrows before shooting.

Joot 10-09-2012 10:07 PM

What do you mean it just exploded?

WNYhunter 10-10-2012 12:02 AM

As soon as he released the arrow, the arrow went to pieces and the back of the shaft splintered and went right into his hand. I always heard that with the carbons there is no mistaken when you have a bad one. He must have damaged it somehow and that is what happened.

Ohboy 10-10-2012 05:52 AM

I have had 1 arrow do that to me, thank god it didnt go into my hand. Poor kid, hope everything goes well for him and he gets back out to shooting and doesnt let this scare him away. Good luck

early in 10-10-2012 06:11 AM

That's got to hurt real bad! I'm glad he's going to be OK though.

Treebeard 10-10-2012 06:41 AM

I saw a buddy of mine have one explode on him like that at the range but it never even crossed my mind of how dangerous that was for him. Yikes that is scary I will always check now.
Hope he heal fast and doesn't miss the whole season :(

Joot 10-10-2012 08:01 AM

What brand arrows was it ? And was the arrow old or newer ?

PassThruArchery 10-10-2012 11:49 AM

I shot Carbon Express arrows, but I've always loved Gold Tips because they actually put a little decal on all their shafts that says "Flex First" with little diagram of two hands flexing an arrow. It's great advice and something I do on a regular basis. So much in fact that I don't even think about it anymore, it's just naturally what happens when I pull the arrow from the target and go to put it in my quiver. You can hear the sound of it crinkle, like wadding up a piece of paper when there is a small crack or splinter in the arrow. If you flex it and it makes noise, throw it away immediately. Arrows are expensive, but I think what this poor kid went through and the medical costs involved, buying new ones would have been worth it.

Hope he makes a quick recovery. Just remember, FLEX FIRST!!

Rhody Hunter 10-10-2012 01:31 PM

I always cringe when I see those type of photos of the arrow exploded in the hand .
That's got to hurt and would seem extremely hard to get all the fibers out without causing more damage o the hand

WNYhunter 10-10-2012 02:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Today my son showed me a pic of a guy this just happened to yesterday. He works on a farm near us. Unbelievable? I guess this one did more damage to this guys hand than what happened to the kid. Good advise Passthruarchery..