Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
arrow awareness.. please read >

arrow awareness.. please read

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

arrow awareness.. please read

Old 10-09-2012, 07:02 PM
Typical Buck

Default arrow awareness.. please read

My sons buddy was practicing 3 days before the opener when this happened. I have seen pics like this before infact uncle matt on here has one as his signature pic. Anyways, as this kid released his arrow it exploded and the back remaining shaft went into his had. Now, because it is a carbon arrow they just cant pull it out because they splinter so bad. They had to do surgery and open up this kids whole hand to get every thing out. He was lucky in the sence that the arrow didnt do any nerve damage or broke any bones.

Please check your carbon arrows before shooting.
Attached Thumbnails arrow awareness.. please read-arrow-hand.jpg  
Old 10-09-2012, 10:07 PM
Spike

What do you mean it just exploded?
Old 10-10-2012, 12:02 AM
Typical Buck

As soon as he released the arrow, the arrow went to pieces and the back of the shaft splintered and went right into his hand. I always heard that with the carbons there is no mistaken when you have a bad one. He must have damaged it somehow and that is what happened.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:52 AM
Fork Horn

I have had 1 arrow do that to me, thank god it didnt go into my hand. Poor kid, hope everything goes well for him and he gets back out to shooting and doesnt let this scare him away. Good luck
Old 10-10-2012, 06:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

That's got to hurt real bad! I'm glad he's going to be OK though.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:41 AM
Typical Buck

I saw a buddy of mine have one explode on him like that at the range but it never even crossed my mind of how dangerous that was for him. Yikes that is scary I will always check now.
Hope he heal fast and doesn't miss the whole season
Old 10-10-2012, 08:01 AM
Spike

What brand arrows was it ? And was the arrow old or newer ?
Old 10-10-2012, 11:49 AM
Spike

I shot Carbon Express arrows, but I've always loved Gold Tips because they actually put a little decal on all their shafts that says "Flex First" with little diagram of two hands flexing an arrow. It's great advice and something I do on a regular basis. So much in fact that I don't even think about it anymore, it's just naturally what happens when I pull the arrow from the target and go to put it in my quiver. You can hear the sound of it crinkle, like wadding up a piece of paper when there is a small crack or splinter in the arrow. If you flex it and it makes noise, throw it away immediately. Arrows are expensive, but I think what this poor kid went through and the medical costs involved, buying new ones would have been worth it.

Hope he makes a quick recovery. Just remember, FLEX FIRST!!
Old 10-10-2012, 01:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I always cringe when I see those type of photos of the arrow exploded in the hand .
That's got to hurt and would seem extremely hard to get all the fibers out without causing more damage o the hand
Old 10-10-2012, 02:40 PM
Typical Buck

Today my son showed me a pic of a guy this just happened to yesterday. He works on a farm near us. Unbelievable? I guess this one did more damage to this guys hand than what happened to the kid. Good advise Passthruarchery..
Attached Thumbnails arrow awareness.. please read-img952971.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.