Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
How many states get one deer? >

How many states get one deer?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How many states get one deer?

Old 10-07-2012, 05:53 PM
Fork Horn

Default How many states get one deer?

Meaning you pretty much get one tag total? Minnesota breaks the state into several hundred permit areas, the overwhelming majority are "Lottery," meaning you can take one deer and have to draw for a doe permit for gun season, or "Hunter's Choice," meaning you can take one deer but can take either or. A handful of areas are "Managed," meaning you can take two deer, but only one buck, and very few "Intensive Harvest," which is up to 5 but only one buck. Anywhoo, seeing all these does on the contest makes me think of the good old days when you could take a doe for some venison and then wait for a buck. Our population is healthy but the DNR says people want to see more deer. How many other states only let you take one deer even though there's no shortage?
Old 10-07-2012, 06:21 PM
Fork Horn

Nebraska is unlimited does, and a total of two bucks. You can get a tag for either or in basically any unit you want, last year had some "earn a buck" permits, but those were done away with this year. You could also get a season choice state wide, archery statewide, rifle statewide buck only, or muzzleloader permit which is state wide....
Old 10-07-2012, 08:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ohio is a one buck state but in most areas you can shoot several does.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:04 AM
Typical Buck

South dakota has 1 "any deer" statewide tag or 1 east river and 1 west river and i think you can have up to 4 "any antlerless" tags which are state wide. If you get the east river and west river any deer tags then you can only get 3 antlerless tags. So 5 tags max i guess.

Last edited by sdhunter11; 10-08-2012 at 06:12 AM.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

NH is one tag for gun, another for bow. Seasons have "doe days" from none to a couple weeks.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:13 AM
Typical Buck

Without including the urban zones, Indiana has a one buck rule. I'm my county (DeKalb) I can harvest a total of 11 deer if I used my tags right. My county has a "bonus" tag limit of 8 doe after your normal tags, which include either sex in archery and muzzleloader plus a buck only tag in firearms. However you could take just does if you want to buy the bonus tags. And if I wanted to go one county north or west I could take 8 more does in each of those counties. They say the herd is way up but i dont see it.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Pennsylvania is a one buck state, but in Special Regs WMUs you can basically take unlimited "antlerless" deer, as long as you have a permit ($6.70 each) for each one. Best deal in town!
Old 10-08-2012, 04:03 PM
Fork Horn

in missouri, you can get 3 any deer tags. one early season archery, gun season, and late season archey. also unlimited does, but there is no baiting and in my county, you cant even use salt.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Started in one state, that had a limit of one deer. It killed archery for years. Couldn't stand getting a deer in archery season, and missing the opening of the traditional gun season.
Lot of states now with fewer hunters, or a lot fewer than they had years ago.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:32 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Bob H in NH
NH is one tag for gun, another for bow. Seasons have "doe days" from none to a couple weeks.
Bob actually your allowed 5 tags, 1 for gun / muzzeloader, different units have their own regulations, 2 for archery, regular archery tag / either sex & special archery which has to be an antlered deer, and then 2 unit M tags which have to be antlerless deer and can be taken by any legal means, gun or bow.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.