HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   How early do you get in your stand (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/373250-how-early-do-you-get-your-stand.html)

elmoughler 09-30-2012 01:21 PM

How early do you get in your stand

I will normally hit the stand about 30 mins before legal shooting time (1 hr before sunrise). Just interested how early everyone else gets there.

imabballer 09-30-2012 01:36 PM

About the same as you. I set my feeder to go off when I plan on walking in. It gets the deer out of the area when I'm walking in and I don't risk spooking them. They start coming back in to eat within 15 minutes or so and are usually still there when it's legal shooting light.

OhioNovice 09-30-2012 01:40 PM

Im normally only 15-20 minutes before the sun comes up, probably should be out earlier though. Its scary walking in the woods in the dark... :evil:

sdhunter11 09-30-2012 03:13 PM

I try to be in my stand 1 1/2 hours before sunrise (legal shooting light is 1/2 hour before sunrise) That way if i do bump anything it gives the area a short time to calm down. Some of the local farm hands did spot a mountain lion last year out there so it does get kinda dicy but ill take my chances.

trs 09-30-2012 03:15 PM

I like to be in the stand and set up 30 -45 mins before legal shooting light. One of the greatest pleasures of early fall bow hunting is being in the trees, watching and listening to the forest wake up in the morning.

burniegoeasily 09-30-2012 03:45 PM

Depends on the severity of the hangover. Lol. Just kidding. I like to be in about 30-40 min before sunrise.

furgitter 09-30-2012 03:50 PM

I rarely hunt mornings, but when I do I try to get settled in a good 30 min before shooting hours begin. In the mid day I get allot of action about now, and early evening. Deer are fat as pigs here already. Must be gonna get cold this winter.

PREDATE 09-30-2012 05:31 PM

I like to exit the vehicle at least an hour before legal shooting. I stand outside the vehicle for 10 minutes to let my eyes/ears adjust. I go over a mental checklist and check wind direction before I start walking

mackesr 10-01-2012 05:51 AM

I try and be in my stand about an hour before shooting light.

Sniggle 10-01-2012 06:10 AM

30 minutes before shooting light. Only exception is opening day of gun season on public land....Then it is 1+ hour before hunting light as I don't want to get shot going in.

ManofTheFall 10-01-2012 07:07 AM

Ideally I like to be in the stand 45 minutes before shooting light.

outdoorsman110 10-01-2012 07:09 AM

Same as the OP, an hour before sunrise, 30m before legal light.

PAThwacker 10-01-2012 07:22 AM

One hour plus if im dragging in a climber. Sweating like a pig with gear in a reversed hip pack and a heavy generic climber. Get to marked trees 200 yards deep on a public sliver of land splitting two developments.

DaveH 10-02-2012 11:04 AM

Same as most of the others - 15 - 30 mins.before legal shooting light.

early in 10-02-2012 03:25 PM

I like to be in my stand at least 45 mins before first light. It allows you to become part of the woods by daybreak. I love the dark walk in with no flashlight. You can actually see better without one.

DUMB BASS 10-03-2012 08:06 AM

You can't shoot in the dark. Get the extra ZZZ's. Get to the stand when you get there. It's how long you sit that matters. If I don't get to my stand until 8 oh well... most of the folks who go out before dawn are wore out and done by 9 or 10... Just be there when you can be there... Of course who doesn't like watching the woods wake up??? It is nice to be early some days...

deernutz 10-03-2012 08:27 AM

It all depends on what stand it is. If its next to where their feeding. I try and get in about an hr so I reduce my chances of bumping out deer. If it's back by their bedding area. I get in around 30 minutes before light. Theres a lot that should steer you to the right time to get in. Whether and location. Bumping animlas will happen during morning hunts. I used to think my morning hunt was over cause I bumped some deer in the dark, but soon learned that's not the case. Just my two senses.

crokit 10-03-2012 02:53 PM

For years I'd get into my stands well before daylight. About 6-7 years ago, I started hunting my way to my stands, getting there when I get there. Since then, I've taken 3 shooters { 120 class and up} on my way into my stands.

LI archer 10-09-2012 10:10 AM

lost my good spot due to the farmer putting up a deer fence...but when i could hunt there in the mornings i would be in the stand 1hour before sunrise..

AR Bowhunter 10-09-2012 04:29 PM

I just try to get there before everybody else so they can push deer toward me.

nysmoker 10-09-2012 04:40 PM

An hour before shooting light .... I want to be in my stand before the neighbors get out so they can push all the deer to us as they make there way to their stands

jemrami9 10-09-2012 05:40 PM

Ditto, like to be in an hour before daylight at least... I gotta get an early start because I got a decent hike up a steep logging road. Gotta go slow and easy as to not over-heat first thing in the morning. I pack in my climber and back pack etc for an all day sit....

golfpro261 10-09-2012 06:13 PM

We all like to get up and hopefully in the stand 30-45 before first light. Deer seem to not care about those LED lights in the dark. I usually just book it up the hill and try to get in as quickly as possible.

Then time to recover from feeling like I have to throw up before I would need to draw my bow! LOL

PREDATE 10-09-2012 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by golfpro261 (Post 3989097)
I usually just book it up the hill and try to get in as quickly as possible.

Now I'm only 29 and them days of booking it to the stand are pretty much past me!
I will however, run like the wind if I need to get around a deer or turkey to get a shot! Leaping logs and creeks, like in The Last Of The Mohicans! lol

UPHunter08 10-12-2012 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by PREDATE (Post 3989123)
Now I'm only 29 and them days of booking it to the stand are pretty much past me!
I will however, run like the wind if I need to get around a deer or turkey to get a shot! Leaping logs and creeks, like in The Last Of The Mohicans! lol

29!? You're still a kid. ;) I'm "several" years older and I still book it...

PREDATE 10-12-2012 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by UPHunter08 (Post 3989954)
29!? You're still a kid. ;) I'm "several" years older and I still book it...

Haha, yeah I meant to the stand! I try to be silent and not overheat. Sweating in the stand can make you cold after a while! It also negates any scent control methods.
I keep a red filter on my small light, I scan periodically ahead of me for the glow of deer eyes. If I spot some I will turn and walk well around them. If they hear something running up on them they will bust, therefore deterring from their normal pattern. If they start blowing @ you then that alerts any other deer around and they most likely will all be in thick cover, bedded down well before daylight.
Someone stated that they get in early to let the neighbors push the deer to them. Well this is what you'll be doing by running through the woods. It's also a good way to skewer your eyes on a rogue tree branch!
I have thought about using a mountain bike. They won't be able to hone in on foot steps of a bipedal intruder.
I'm pretty darn nimble for 6' 220lbs! :happy0001:

snapper1982 10-12-2012 03:48 PM

i have been in as early as 2 hr before shooting light(30 min before sun rise) but average is about 1 hr before shooting light.

07superglide 10-12-2012 05:43 PM

I like to get in baout an hour before,But if im running late I like to hunt on the way in too.

tight360 10-12-2012 07:53 PM

goes without say'n brotha....

Originally Posted by elmoughler (Post 3984808)
I will normally hit the stand about 30 mins before legal shooting time (1 hr before sunrise). Just interested how early everyone else gets there.

anymore time is time wasted, and with any movement, BUSTED!

Valentine 10-15-2012 02:09 AM

Got there...

when I got there. The deer always got there when they got there.

The Outdoorsman 10-15-2012 10:42 AM

I have found on our property that it doesnt matter. I do however like to utilize my time in the woods as much as possible as my time to hunt can be limited. So I try to make it out there before shooting light if possible. With all the cut trails to areas, it makes it easy to slip in quickly and quietly. Open day of gun, i will be in stand well before shooting light (30-45 mins) knowing the land adjacent to ours will have hunters pushing deer towards me.

GRIZZLYMAN 10-15-2012 11:35 AM

I like to get out and up the tree while it is still pitch black.

RidgeFACTOR 10-15-2012 03:22 PM

I am a morning hunter and like to be sitting in my stand 30 minutes before daylight. I have learned over the years, getting into your stand an hour or more before daybreak is just a waste of time.