Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
How early do you get in your stand >

How early do you get in your stand

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How early do you get in your stand

Old 10-09-2012, 04:40 PM
Fork Horn

An hour before shooting light .... I want to be in my stand before the neighbors get out so they can push all the deer to us as they make there way to their stands
Old 10-09-2012, 05:40 PM
Fork Horn

Ditto, like to be in an hour before daylight at least... I gotta get an early start because I got a decent hike up a steep logging road. Gotta go slow and easy as to not over-heat first thing in the morning. I pack in my climber and back pack etc for an all day sit....
Old 10-09-2012, 06:13 PM
Fork Horn

We all like to get up and hopefully in the stand 30-45 before first light. Deer seem to not care about those LED lights in the dark. I usually just book it up the hill and try to get in as quickly as possible.

Then time to recover from feeling like I have to throw up before I would need to draw my bow! LOL
Old 10-09-2012, 06:59 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by golfpro261
I usually just book it up the hill and try to get in as quickly as possible.
Now I'm only 29 and them days of booking it to the stand are pretty much past me!
I will however, run like the wind if I need to get around a deer or turkey to get a shot! Leaping logs and creeks, like in The Last Of The Mohicans! lol
Old 10-12-2012, 08:54 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by PREDATE
Now I'm only 29 and them days of booking it to the stand are pretty much past me!
I will however, run like the wind if I need to get around a deer or turkey to get a shot! Leaping logs and creeks, like in The Last Of The Mohicans! lol
29!? You're still a kid. I'm "several" years older and I still book it...
Old 10-12-2012, 10:06 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by UPHunter08
29!? You're still a kid. I'm "several" years older and I still book it...
Haha, yeah I meant to the stand! I try to be silent and not overheat. Sweating in the stand can make you cold after a while! It also negates any scent control methods.
I keep a red filter on my small light, I scan periodically ahead of me for the glow of deer eyes. If I spot some I will turn and walk well around them. If they hear something running up on them they will bust, therefore deterring from their normal pattern. If they start blowing @ you then that alerts any other deer around and they most likely will all be in thick cover, bedded down well before daylight.
Someone stated that they get in early to let the neighbors push the deer to them. Well this is what you'll be doing by running through the woods. It's also a good way to skewer your eyes on a rogue tree branch!
I have thought about using a mountain bike. They won't be able to hone in on foot steps of a bipedal intruder.
I'm pretty darn nimble for 6' 220lbs!
Old 10-12-2012, 03:48 PM
Banned

i have been in as early as 2 hr before shooting light(30 min before sun rise) but average is about 1 hr before shooting light.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:43 PM
Fork Horn

I like to get in baout an hour before,But if im running late I like to hunt on the way in too.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:53 PM
Typical Buck

Default goes without say'n brotha....

Originally Posted by elmoughler
I will normally hit the stand about 30 mins before legal shooting time (1 hr before sunrise). Just interested how early everyone else gets there.
anymore time is time wasted, and with any movement, BUSTED!
Old 10-15-2012, 02:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Got there...

when I got there. The deer always got there when they got there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.