HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   No deer on opening day, but hogs everywhere. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/373241-no-deer-opening-day-but-hogs-everywhere.html)

burniegoeasily 09-30-2012 11:11 AM

No deer on opening day, but hogs everywhere.

Not what i was after, but will be good for the next bbq.

darkarrow 10-01-2012 10:31 AM

I would not complain at all. And nice eating size pigs.

What kind of bow is that?

Sniggle 10-02-2012 03:25 AM

Awesome! All I had around me opening day were tree rats....not nearly as much meat as those boys.

doetrain 10-02-2012 06:20 AM

I smell smoked hog for supper,yum yum! I wish we had hogs close to heer I would enjoy a good pig hunt. I know I like to eat them for sure. Saw 4 Does and a Spike opening day,the spike got a walk the Does stayed out of range. But a good day in the woods till the rain drove me out and into a blind at home.

halfbakedi420 10-02-2012 06:40 AM

gotta plug em...hogs will keep the deer away! i have photos to prove it. put up a trap, put a lid on it so the deer dont go in there. bait it heavily, spilling around the outside edges and tie that sucker shut....after they eat everything outside, they will want in....you will be able to tell because they will try and dig in....time to set that sucker, make sure the trip wire is all the way at the back with a bag of corn waitin for em...it will help flush the bs in their system out too. gl
remember to set that trip wire pretty low if these are the size hogs you have.
nice shooting too...lil hogs make fer small target....btw those are a good size eater there. anything over 175lbs, we dont eat

burniegoeasily 10-02-2012 10:37 AM

Dark arrow thanks. That bow is one of my personal designs. It is a bamboo backed, Brazilian walnut, Osage, quad lam long bow that i relex/deflexed with elk and white tail antler tips.

Halfbaked
I use to trap hogs on my land until gas prices shot through the roof. I found that good old dog food works better for bait then corn. I have not trapped them in over 8 years. My land is just to far for me to be checking traps. You are right, these two are perfect eating size. The red one was in a group with a boar around Two hundred pounds, so i shot the small one. The light colored one was solo and i found it while walking back to my truck. I have a bunch of guys coming to my cabin for the OU vs UT weekend. These hogs are going to be slow smoked over mesquite that weekend.

halfbakedi420 10-02-2012 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by burniegoeasily (Post 3985844)
Dark arrow thanks. That bow is one of my personal designs. It is a bamboo backed, Brazilian walnut, Osage, quad lam long bow that i relex/deflexed with elk and white tail antler tips.

Halfbaked
I use to trap hogs on my land until gas prices shot through the roof. I found that good old dog food works better for bait then corn. I have not trapped them in over 8 years. My land is just to far for me to be checking traps. You are right, these two are perfect eating size. The red one was in a group with a boar around Two hundred pounds, so i shot the small one. The light colored one was solo and i found it while walking back to my truck. I have a bunch of guys coming to my cabin for the OU vs UT weekend. These hogs are going to be slow smoked over mesquite that weekend.

thats the beautiful thing about wiring it shut..ya just open and set it when you are there, it will fill up overnight 4/5 times. as long as they know the food is in there they will keep trying to get in.
so does everyone at the party go for TeXaS

burniegoeasily 10-02-2012 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420 (Post 3985847)
thats the beautiful thing about wiring it shut..ya just open and set it when you are there, it will fill up overnight 4/5 times. as long as they know the food is in there they will keep trying to get in.
so does everyone at the party go for TeXaS

That is a good idea and i just might do that after deer season.

Not everyone is for UT. I was an athlete at Tech and some of the guys were athletes there with me. Ill be pulling for UT but the other guys hold to much of the Tech UT rivalry to root for them. And one of the guys from Tech got his physical therapy degree from UT med school. I guess he is just confused because he is a professor at A and M now. Lol. A few of the other guys are from OU but most graduated from UT. Its always a fun campout.

halfbakedi420 10-02-2012 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by burniegoeasily (Post 3985923)
That is a good idea and i just might do that after deer season.

Not everyone is for UT. I was an athlete at Tech and some of the guys were athletes there with me. Ill be pulling for UT but the other guys hold to much of the Tech UT rivalry to root for them. And one of the guys from Tech got his physical therapy degree from UT med school. I guess he is just confused because he is a professor at A and M now. Lol. A few of the other guys are from OU but most graduated from UT. Its always a fun campout.

lol sounds like fun. ill be honest, i root fer ou myself..sry

V8Ranger 10-03-2012 12:35 AM

You went out for dinner, came home with breakfast, nothing wrong with that.. WTG, Congrats on two fine pigs..