Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
The one I was after >

The one I was after

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The one I was after

Old 09-29-2012, 12:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default The one I was after

I got the buck I had seen in my clover plot back in July. I had only seen him once or twice and "think" I have a fuzzy pic taken of him through a window and screen.

Here's a pic taken after field dressing . . .http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...levant_count=1

Here's the [long] story . . .

It's been a good season so far, I got a nice doe in the 1st legal minute of my 1st morning out -- the season opened earlier than expected and I wasn't aware of it. . . but I digress . . .

I wasn't expecting to go Thursday evening since I had to work, but my last 2 clients of the day (I'm a personal trainer) had to cancel their appointments for health and work reasons. I still wasn't going to go because it was humid and the Ravens were playing that night. But I watched a hunting video that afternoon that showed the host shooting a nice buck in warm conditions right as the sun was setting. I decided to go.

The stand I picked (on my property) has always been good to me and the wind was perfect for it, so I sat there and waited. This next part is important.

I prayed to my Lord that I would see one of the 2 big bucks I had seen during the summer, that I would see him in time and be ready, that he would be completely unaware of my presence and that I would get an unblocked high percentage shot broadside right before sunset.

As I was noticing that it was getting dark earlier than usual due to the impending rain, I slowly turned in time to see one of the two "big boys" heading my way on a trail that goes right past my tree. He was completely unaware that I was there and walked right into an open shooting lane at close range where I drilled him and watched him bolt out of there - I thought I heard a crash but couldn't be sure. I looked at my watched and it was 6:52pm . . . sunset was at 6:53pm!

Since rain was forecast to start at any time, I got down right away to have a look at my arrow. While it didn't look as bloody as expected, I had seen the shot and suspected the crash I heard left him not far away. With the remaining light, I started following where I saw him run, but I didn't see any blood in the dim light. I knew the rain would wash it away if I waited, so I continued. After a few minutes of not seeing any good sign, I again prayed that the Lord would lead me to him since I wasn't having any luck on my own. I took 2 steps and looked up to see a white belly not far ahead!

I took some cell phone pics which were terrible and then field dressed him and dragged him about 50 or so yards to my neighbor's pasture so I could drive to him. My wife got the pic you see here.

Stats: dressed weight 190lbs., 21" spread, 10 points still in velvet.
Note: Our meat grinder stopped working and would not start again before we had finished processing him, so I prayed about that. It started right up! My God answers prayer!

Last edited by DaveH; 09-29-2012 at 12:59 PM.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Okay, why can't I post a picture?

I tried all my normal ways and just went with this link.

The autopsy showed the arrow went through the heart entering at the top third and exited through the bottom third. I think I got part of all 4 chambers.

Last edited by DaveH; 09-29-2012 at 01:02 PM.
Old 09-29-2012, 01:42 PM
Typical Buck

Upload it to photobucket then copy the link
Old 09-29-2012, 02:09 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats on a great buck!

I enjoyed your story, got love when you can harvest a beatiful on your own property. Glad The Lord was with you on that great evening!
Old 09-29-2012, 02:45 PM
Fork Horn

What a bruiser...Congrats!!
Old 09-29-2012, 04:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

Here you go Dave. This is DaveH's buck he couldn't post.

Last edited by The Rev; 09-29-2012 at 04:17 PM.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Super Nice Dave...

Last edited by The Rev; 09-30-2012 at 11:37 AM.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow! That's gonna make allot of sausage
Old 09-29-2012, 04:24 PM
Spike

Nice one! Congrats!
Old 09-29-2012, 04:35 PM
Typical Buck

Awsome deer, I actually prayed the other night in the stand for the first time in a long long time and the the buck i was hoping for actually showed up but spent most of his time underneath my stand and never offered a shot.

Last edited by sdhunter11; 09-29-2012 at 04:51 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.