Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Buying my first bow - need advice choosing? >

Buying my first bow - need advice choosing?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Buying my first bow - need advice choosing?

Old 09-29-2012, 01:26 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by fishtaconc
I was going to suggest, finding a bare bow, while the packages are helpful to a newbie, they are most often "outgrown" very quickly. So invest the savings into accessories that will serve you longer. Welcome to this addiction we call bowhunting.
I'm looking at accessorys now, and since I'm pretty sure what bow I'm going to buy, this is what I'm looking at. I think I want a three pin adjustable site both verticaly and horizontaly, a whisker biscuit type rest, a stabilizer, and quiver...not sure what brands I'm going to buy, but I'm giving myself a budget of roughly 300.00$ for some decent accessorys and other little doo-dads and what-nots I may need.

Thanks again everyone, you guys rock.
Old 09-29-2012, 07:09 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by jeffgothro
Thanks everyone, I think I finally found one I want to buy, I went online and started looking at Parker Red Hawk XP and the G5 Quest QS31 - Hammer (both 2009 for 300.00$ each NEW), and although I havent tried either, I'm really digging the G5 Quest and I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy it, and buy it online, and instead buy all the accessories for it at my local dealer. Also this way I can buy a better bow (I think) for less money, and get nicer accessories, and still be roughly within my budget. I'll also bring my local shop my business for a couple lessons and set up of my bow. And in a year or two when I get better at this and learn a few things I'll think about upgrading to a nicer more professional higher end bow.

DRAW WEIGHTS: 50-, 60-, 70-pound peak
DRAW LENGTHS: 26 to 30 inches in one half-inch increments
RISER: Reflex, 100-percent CNC machined 6061 T6 aluminum
LIMBS: 13.5-inch straight Gordon Glass
STRING: 87.8125 inches Metrao
CABLE: 32.9375 inches Metrao
MASS WEIGHT: 3.9 pounds
LETOFF: 80-percent
GRIP: 2-piece composite
BRACE HEIGHT: 7.5 inches
AXLE-TO-AXLE LENGTH: 31 inches
FINISH: Realtree AP HD
ADVERTISED IBO SPEED: 310 to 314 fps
your going to get a little hand shock out of that bow, although it is very nice. The more bows you shoot the better off you will be. You really ought to go to a shop that carrys 3-4-5 lines of bows so you dont get a bias opinion, I would suggest you look into PSE and BEAR also, Parker also makes a super sweet bow
Old 09-29-2012, 12:46 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Arkansasmountainman
your going to get a little hand shock out of that bow, although it is very nice. The more bows you shoot the better off you will be. You really ought to go to a shop that carrys 3-4-5 lines of bows so you dont get a bias opinion, I would suggest you look into PSE and BEAR also, Parker also makes a super sweet bow
I am considering a Parker.

Redhawk XP

Old 09-29-2012, 05:03 PM
Typical Buck

x2 on shooting bows, That is what i did when i started, I shot martins, bowtech, diamonds, and bears, settled on a bear vapor 300. Shot that bow for 2 years then i shot my mathews switchback xt and never looked back.
Old 09-29-2012, 06:50 PM
Spike

well, this is opinion , at one time or another in the last 33 years of bow hunting I have had most brand bows , bear , diamond/bowteck, mathews/mission , hoyt , pse , one thing I know is everyone makes a good bow now days , some are better than others. I have a Z7 , love it , fast light short and accurate , I also have a new PSE , and to tell the truth , its as good as the Z7 , I went a few weeks ago to my local dealer ( they sell ALL of them at one shop , if you have a place that does this , it is the place to go ) I wanted a new bow , I shot 8 of the latest and greatest and left with the Hoyt Vector 32. There is a reason Outdoor life called it the best of 2012. It is a tad faster with the same arrow as My Z7 , the draw cycle is unreal smooth , the valley is near perfect , back wall is solid , it holds dead steady , the off set stabelizer hole actually works to balance everything out , and it is quiet as smoke. You should try every bow you can , and pick the one that you like , but I would recomend trying the Z7 , and the Hoyt Vector 32 ,
Old 10-01-2012, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't forget that you will have to buy arrows also...if you plan for them to fall into the $300 also, you will need to be careful. The most expensive sights, rests, etc. aren't necessarily all that much better. A good, adjustable 3-pin sight (or 4-pin) is a good option, in my opinion. It'll probably be close to $50, if not more to get a decent one. WB rests are as well, in my opinion, but make sure to get the micro-adjustable version. That way if you need to move the rest up, down, left, or right you can. The Kill-Shot version allows you to do this, and will run you about $50, bringing your total to ~$100. I recommend keeping dampeners off your string, keeping it as fast as possible, but putting some on your limbs. The Sims LimbSavers that stick to your limbs would run you about $17. Total up to ~$117. As for a stabilizer, my favorite is about the cheapest out there...the Sims S-Coil 4.5" model. This will run you about $22, bringing your total to ~$139. Any quiver will work just fine...some cost a bunch and all they may do differently than the cheaper ones is look cooler. You should be able to find one for no more than $30, bringing your total up to ~$169. You'll want to get at least a dozen arrows...inevitably, you will destroy a few. Arrows are certainly not an area to skimp on. You can get a dozen good arrows for ~$100, bringing your running total up to ~$270. Now, you'll need some broadheads. I recommend fixed blade, but that's just my opinion...buy the ones you want. Get at least 6 of them though...Muzzy is about as cost-effective as it gets, and is a top-notch head. You can get 6 of them for a little under $40. Now, you are over the $300 mark, and you still need at the very least a release. That will run you close to $50 on the low end, and you are looking at roughly $360+tax. You could shave some off of you sight price, perhaps. And you could go with the cheaper WB rest, saving $10, but it wouldn't adjust in all 4 directions. You could leave the limbsavers off, saving $15-20. You could leave off the stabilizer, saving a little over $20. You don't have to have a quiver that attaches to your bow, but you do need something to keep those blades covered up...never know when you might fall or something.

The only things that you HAVE to have are your bow, arrows, broadheads, a rest, a sight, and a release...unless you want to shoot fingers, and then you would need some finger tabs...and that is much harder. Don't necessarily Have to have a sight, either, but then again, you do.

Gets real uhhhhspensive in a hurry, don't it!