Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Why are you a Deer Hunter? >

Why are you a Deer Hunter?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Why are you a Deer Hunter?

Old 09-23-2012, 07:21 AM
Fork Horn

To get away from the ole' lady for a while lol
Old 09-23-2012, 02:58 PM
Fork Horn

I guess the reason I am deer hunter is because that what my dad raised me to be.
For as long as I can remember we always were hunting. Any thing from groundhogs, doves, squirrels, rabbits, pheasants, duck and deer we were hunting them.
The cool thing is that my dad introduced me to hunting. I introduced him to archery hunting! To this day we still hunt together everyday. We have been deer hunting together since I have been 12. I am now 36 years old and dad is 57. Only real difference is that I kind of lead all our hunts as dad has slowed a little but still is out there every chance he gets!
It is the only life style that I know!
Old 09-23-2012, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator

The motivation changes year to year. When I first started (as a 11 year old kid) I bought all the tags I could afford, and did my best to use them. Then I went through a couple years where I would shoot doe but waited on a nice buck. These last two years I'm back to just enjoying the hunt and not caring about what the rack looks like. But ultimately it is because I like to shoot deer. I am in the woods year round. In the off-season I am hiking, mountain biking, bicycling, dirt-bike riding, kayaking, fishing, rock climbing, taking pictures, and doing anything I can to be outside. So, I could say I deer hunt because I love being in the woods. But I could be in the woods for a lot cheaper than it costs me to hunt each year. So, I do it because I love to hunt. I like the meat, and there's nothing like arrowing a deer, or putting the crosshairs on one.
I also enjoy the challenge it gives me. I could go out anytime I want and shoot a deer. But every year I add something to keep the process evolving. Last year I started still hunting with the bow and had the time of my life doing it.
-Jake
Old 09-23-2012, 06:25 PM
Spike

i like to because it requires patience and there are some big bucks out there
Old 09-23-2012, 08:22 PM
Fork Horn

The adrenaline rush that you can't find anywhere else.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:11 PM
Typical Buck

Because waterfowl hunters are gay
Old 09-25-2012, 03:17 AM
Typical Buck

An old Hank song comes to mind. Family Tradition. It all started hundreds of years ago back in the old country(Germany). You see, my ancestors were the noted hunters of the community and my last name literally means hunter. I have written history of one of my ancestors who fought in the first battle of the Revolutionary War that says he was an exceptional marksman capable of taking down even the fastest game.
I've lived all of my life not too far from that battleground and I guess you can say it's just in my blood.
I have no specific reason. It's just what I've always done to quell my insatiable hunger for animal flesh.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:47 AM
Fork Horn

Because we don't have hogs, caribou, or moose to hunt here.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:19 PM
Fork Horn

I guess the main reason I hunt deer is , like others have stated, my Dad. I shot my first deer on our family farm when I was 8 years old with a Stevens .410 bolt action. I remember my Dad tracking that deer for what seemed like a long time, it had only gone about 75 yards, but when you are 8 years old, that's a long ways. I remember sitting with my Dad in a make shift ground blind that he would build. The smell of oak leaves, the cool weather, and just staring at him as he scanned the field/woods. He is gone now, but every time I step out into the deer woods, that oak smell, the sounds, and many other sights and smells take me back to that time so long ago. I truly miss my Dad, but when I'm out there, I feel close to him. It's my time to reflect, talk to God and my Dad. Call me crazy, but that means a lot to me, to be able to harvest a deer is just icing on the cake. My Dad is with me on every trip, and I wouldn't have it any other way.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:09 PM
Fork Horn

Its my 26th season. Just do the traditional thing my father taught me, and blessed with 2 daughters. Anybody have a son that needs some mentoring? Hahaha

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.