Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Venison Prosessing >

Venison Prosessing

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Venison Prosessing

Old 09-23-2012, 08:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

In the past I did everything myself. Now, I'll hang them, skin and quarter them and take the quarters to my butcher. We used most of the meat for ground and salami sticks and our butcher will take it off the bone for free when they make the sticks for us. Saves me a lot of time so I don't mind.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

do all my own, i dont trust anyone with mine. i wonder if i would actually be getting my met back, er someone else's. not to mention cleanliness as to where my meats going. i dont want my meat sliding through some other deer's juices that might have been handled improperly in the field.
its alot of work, but worth the peace of mind every time i pull meat out, that i know where its been.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:59 AM
Fork Horn

We have a local farmer that does all of ours. He will have dozens of deer at one time and does a very good. In live in the Suburbs, the neighbors would freak if I hung one up in the front yard to butcher it.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by OhioNovice
We have a local farmer that does all of ours. He will have dozens of deer at one time and does a very good. In live in the Suburbs, the neighbors would freak if I hung one up in the front yard to butcher it.
we do it all the time, all the neighborhood kids come to see. i give em a lil song and dance, let em look and see. they never miss out...they are usually here when i get home from hunting, hoping i havnt 1/4'd it up yet. usually they get a let down, cause i usually do it b4 i get home.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just got done cutting one up in my garage. I still need to grind and bag up some roasts, I ran out of food saver bags.
Old 09-23-2012, 02:02 PM
Typical Buck

I do all my own, I use the does i kill for steaks, roasts,and chops, Everything on the bucks but the backstraps i make into to german ring sausage, breakfast sausage, burger and jerky. I use bacon ends and pieces to grind into my burger, usually 20%, It really helps the patties stick together and gives it that hint of smoked bacon flavor. When we make sausage a bunch us order pork butts and do a 60/40 mixture of pork to deer.

Last edited by sdhunter11; 09-23-2012 at 02:17 PM.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use to do my own. But it just got to where it kills my back. Most of the time I end up doing it by my self, and that just got old... I did like doing it my self because then I knew I got all the meat possible off that deer and it was cut the way I wanted it... 2 years ago I shot a nice 8 point and got it mounted, the guy also did the meat processing for no charge because he was doing the mount.... Well I got 23 pounds of meat off of a 150 pound dressed out buck.. I was beyond pissed off... Then he got mad at me because he thought I was accusing him of stealing it... Needless to say he wont ever get any business from me again... Had a new person do my deer last year and he did a nice job.. I felt I got ALL of the meat from my deer..
Old 09-24-2012, 07:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

We do our own. It got to expensive to have someone do it. It was running $80+ for a deer, regardless of size. My son shot a small doe, it costs $80 to get 25 lbs of meat.

We do it all now. Have a friend who remodels kitches. He got a us a 6 foot counter top, prop it up on saw horses, hang the deer in the garage and have at it. We have it skinned, taken apart, cleaned up, cut, wrapped, ground, in the freezer and cleaned up in under 2 hours.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was raised killing our own hogs so the deer was just natural. I don't trust anyone to do it for me. I have everything I need to do the job and I know its done right.

I had processors do summer sausage before and got it back and had lead bird shot in it. Not joking. Another time I take it to a guy and he charged me a dollar a pound to make sure it was clean. It was the cleanest he ever had I would bet yet I had to pay. That ended it for me on the sausage. I can make it every bit as good as they can if not better.....and no lead shot or any ones elses deer.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lead shot??!! what else is he processing for you to end up with shot pellets in deer sausage??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.